Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that I have quite a bit of time still (I'm only 17 weeks) but in true Pauline fashion/obsession, I've started researching and pricing strollers. I am completely overwhelmed by the amount of strollers available and huge differences in price.

I am pretty sure we want a 'travel system' because you can take the car seat out and attach right to the stroller without waking the baby but again, there are huge price variances. What makes a $350 stroller better than a $220 stroller? :confused:

I've been asking around but a lot of our friends had babies 5 or so years ago so there have been changes since then. One girlfriend's choice was made by the fact that a 150lb guy could stand in the stroller and it didn't bust :D

Help from other new-ish moms or anyone who knows would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!!

Pauline

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
Absolutely no question whatsoever, BOB Revolution. Hands down.

http://www.bobgear.com/strollers/stroller.php?product_id=4

A-Mazing.

I have researched strollers TO DEATH, (and careseats, and crib mattresses, lol)and if they had made this stroller when I had my kids, I would have had one. I had a Peg-Perego and loved it. an added bonus, it held up so well I was able to sell it for $150 easily when we were done with it. With strollers, you get what you pay for. Better to buy the best one you can and have it last. A smooth ride for baby, fingertip steering for mom. You really have to check the site (and the facebook fan page). This is THE stroller. I just helped my friend chose one, and she sgrees it is worth every single penny.

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
Why would you need the stroller to hold a $150 person? Did I misunderstand something? Makenna is 3 and I haven't used her stroller in probably a year. I have a Graco travel system and I love it. You need to go to the store and check them out. See how heavy they are and how easy are they to open and close. If it's a PITA to open and close it's not worth a glowing review.

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
The Bob is a single handed fold and takes up FAR less space than the standard systems. With my first baby, I went through 2 strollers, a Graco system and a Safety First and they had crappy wheels, crappy suspension, didn't steer well (the BOB has one front tire so it swivels) and they didn't last a minute on the trails or rough terrain...we are an active family and walk outside a lot. Then I broke down & bought my Peg-Perego and it lasted through Olivia AND Anna and was in perfect condition when we were done with it. Also, you care about resale when you spend $500 on an item. It is nice to know that if you take care of it, you can still recoup a little when you are done with it . =)

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I think it depends too on what your planning to do with it. If you take hikes off road and such you'll need one made for that most travel systems don't do real well off road. We had an Evenflo travel system I think it was the Journey line. We have passed it on to my sister to use for their new baby. It worked great for our walks around the neighborhood with the dogs and walking around the mall which was about all we used it for.

I agree with Princess Zoe go to some stores and try them out make sure they are easy to fold down and see which one you like the feel of better.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
I'm with T- Spend a little bit more and get a good stroller. I have read great things about the BOB.

I had a Zooper with Cameron and I loved it!

My SIL who is due in August is eyeing a Quinny. I've looked at it and it looks like a good one.

The other one I'd recommend is a Phil and Ted's. My friend, who has four boys, had one with her two youngest. It was an amazing stroller!

I used my stroller every day for at least 2 years when walking Tucker and walking my older child to school. Cameron probably rode in his stroller until he was 2.5 or 3 on day trips to the zoo and such. But with the big wheels I had on my Zooper, I could go through snow, slush - really any type of terrain.

·
Registered
9,693 Posts
CHECK HANDLE HEIGHT!!! If it's too short for your husband, too high for you it will make any stroller horrible!

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
CHECK HANDLE HEIGHT!!! If it's too short for your husband, too high for you it will make any stroller horrible!
A lot of higher end ones (for the lack of a better phrase) have adjustable heights for the handle. But you are absolutely right- Our first one was an Evenflo travel system. I hated it because of the handle height. I'm on the taller side at 5'9 and it killed my back.

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Alot of the difference in price is because of the name, we have gone for the Silver Cross Freeway on Linear chassis..you get a pram so the baby can sleep flat in the daytime, it turns into a pushchair, the chassis is light and the car seat can be fixed onto the frame so when you are out in the car you only have to take the frame

Pics here: pic 31 onwards

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=5810444&l=618f9&id=732075108
Dunno if you can get them in the US though

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Hi Pauline, I've been through alot of strollers over the years. One thing to consider about the travel systems. The removable car seat is only usable until infant is 22 lbs. That happens really fast. My youngest went from just over 8 pounds to 18 pounds in two months.

Currently I have a jogging stroller and I love it. The wheels are like bicycle tires with air in them. Metal spokes. I go through slush and snow without a problem. The daycare child using it now is the fourth one. We walk 3 times a day.

One thing to check on is the wheel structure on the 4 wheeled strollers. Some stick and some break because they are plastic. Oh and the four wheeled ones can be hard on the dogs front foot. Bucky used to get bumped by the front wheel. Now with only three wheels, he never gets bumped.

Good luck with your stroller shopping.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Another thing I have issues with is that I have a long stride and I'm constantly stepping on the bar between the back wheels so check that out too.
I need to get me a different one.

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
I certainly don't have kids, but I spend a lot of time with my baby cousin. She is 8 months old and up until about 2 weeks ago used the seat it came with (she could still fit into if needed but she prefers to be more upright). It's the Graco Quattro Tour Deluxe Travel System, the stroller can be used up to 50lbs and the babyseat up to 32lbs
(and 32")

I loooove the carseat that comes with the system, and the stroller is great. My only complaint (as well as her Mommy and Daddy's) is that the stroller is a little bit heavy. It is very easy to fold and unfold though. It's this one:

(it comes in several other patterns/colors)

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
We ended up with three strollers... The first was the travel system, and we still use the stroller for the mall, costco, etc... and major shopping when you want to have the snack tray or try to get a nap in. The second was a GREAT jogger stroller that a cousin lent me, it has huge bicycle-like wheels and will drive over pretty much any terrain, we use it for walks/hikes on the trails. The third was a $25 umbrella stroller we got on special for $5, we used this for times we didn't feel like using the larger stroller or a grocery cart isn't available.

I'm not suggesting you go this route - because they take up A LOT of space (our regular stroller is kept in our van, the jogger is at the IL's because they live by the trails, the umbrella is in our coat closet). But this is what works for us!

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Oh yeah, our travel system is that Graco Quattro Tour Deluxe like what Stacey posted. Its pretty great, love the recline and the snack tray!

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Oh yeah, our travel system is that Graco Quattro Tour Deluxe like what Stacey posted. Its pretty great, love the recline and the snack tray!

I'm pretty sure we also have this one. It's not the most expensive or the cheapest, but it seems works fine.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks so much for the responses! WHEW - still so much to consider! I am printing this out to show Steve during our research. Definitely all-terrain is a necessity as is easy to handle/fold. Thanks again everyone, I will likely PM some of you when we narrow it down to get some more feedback.

Molly, thanks for the good wishes! We are just beaming here :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts