Just Labradors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know pretty much everything I need to know about eating, exercise, etc. But I feel like I can't DO it with any consistency! I've been under a lot of stress at work recently. I've pulled three all-nighters in the past two months. (I know it seems like I'm on here all the time, but that's really because I'm working all the time. I leave the window open, do some work, check the threads, do more work, check the threads, lather, rinse, repeat.) When it gets like this I feel like I just can't control my eating and I gravitate toward all those unhealthy comfort and trigger foods (for me it's sweets and things like cheese and wine). And then I'm so tired that I find all kinds of excuses for not working out.

Many of you, I'm sure, have much more stressful lives but you still do it. What strategies work for you. C'mon, psych me up here!!! :)

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Nathan, I do the exact same things you do, as far as stress eating and then making excuses. I think for me, I just have to remember what my goal is, and yes, I have a crap week at a time and fall off the wagon, the next week I make sure I force myself to get back on track, and make those healthy choices. I know that sounds "easy", but trust me, it's not. I really have to mentally force myself to stick to my guns the following week and get off my ass and go skating at lunch, or to eat that fruit in the afternoon instead of traipsing down 4 flights of stairs to the pharmacy and grabbing some chips, or a cookie, or chocolate.

I've never stayed the course in my life with respect to this, but somehow, I manage to keep getting back on when I fall off. I keep thinking the not getting back on is inevitable, but I really hope not. I want to continue losing weight.

Plus, a little trick I've been using is to think to myself: How much better are those cookies going to make me feel?" And then I think back to myself :Well, not that much better, I mean, they'll be nice for 5 minutes while I'm eating them, but I've worked so hard to lose those other 100 cookies thus far. So really, those cookies aren't going to make me feel better. Then I say self "Don't eat those cookies!".... Then I weigh the options. Do I really want those cookies or do I want to keep losing weight? I will then shove something else in my yap, or sit it out.

That said, sometimes I just can't control it. Sometimes those cookies are stronger then my thoughts. I think cookies take classes in Jedi mind control before they are allowed to go into their respective bags.

G

·
I'm in the same boat... not stress eating but boredom eating. Work literally dried up at 11am this morning and the two of us sat there until 3:30(her)/4:30(me) twiddling our thumbs. So what did we do but eat... Then came home and went to sleep because I felt so gross.

I think I need another job.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Same problem here - stress and boredom. I usually do one of two things - sometimes both at once - and they work pretty well. Most of the time a Diet Coke will do it for me. I think a lot of stress/boredom eating has to do with oral gratification, so drinking a sweet drink usually works as well as eating something. Another strategy that works well is to just procrastinate. Yes, this is one of the few times that procrastination is a good thing! Tell yourself you'll wait 15 minutes, and if you still want something then you'll eat it. You must eat something healthy, though, or at least something that won't totally derail you. Chances are, after 15 minutes you'll be occupied with something else and you won't want anything.

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, guys. Today I felt stressed and hungry and just said to myself, "Hey, guess what? You're hungry. No big deal." Go me!!! ;)

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Good job!

Feeling hunger was the topic of one of our WW meetings. The leader said we have to remember that most of us have never really ever been hungry, so when we find ourselves feeling that way we feel like we need to fix it quickly. But we really don't. She said we need to learn to assess our level of hunger and go from there.

So you done good! :angel: ;D

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
I am a stress eater too. Remember the toilet incident? That drove me to McDonalds. I did okay...but I ate the fries, which blew my points out the door. I am HORRIBLE about this.

Nathan, stop working so much. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts