Just Labradors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Emilu discovered this really wierd, pretty fungus in our woods the other day. It's a soft fungus, growing on the ground but it looks like the shelf fungus that grows on trees and is hard. It was quite large, about 1.5 ft across. Anybody know what it is?

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
No idea but it is beautiful! Hmmm... use for a centerpiece? That would be something I would do.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Looks like Chicken of the Woods.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I just looked at that website...and I swear I could never go into a forest and pick a fungus, cook it up and eat it! Just seems a little risky to me...

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Are you gonna eat it?

My aunt is lucky enough to have a mushroom collector/expert about 4 houses down from her. Last year they lost an old oak tree, and had mushrooms grow up on it. They went and got him, and sure enough, they were edible. My aunt Julia used to pick mushrooms in the woods often as well, but she grew up as a leetle girl learning and stuff about mushrooms too.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I won't be eating it! I don't even like mushrooms, and I would never trust my ability to know what is safe in the woods - but it sure is pretty to look at everyday when we take our doggy walks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts