Just Labradors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the last few months, Buddy has become very vocal. It's as tho he just discovered he can bark. And since this started, it has not stopped and is getting worse.
He's always been very happy to have house guests. I think he decided that everyone who walks through the front door is here to see him - not me. The minute we sit down, usually in my kitchen, and start a conversation, he starts barking - NON STOP. It's almost like he's telling me off. This 'conversation' is directed solely at me. I have to actually threaten him with WATER ( he HATES water so all I have to do is say the word and walk near the sink) to get him to leave the room but within 20-30 seconds he returns and it starts all over again.
It doesn't matter who visits. It could even be friends with children who he normally would be more than happy to play with.
I cannot figure this out. It's not like he follows me around. Or spends time wherever I am in the house. He is very independent and I usually don't see him all day unless he needs me for something. Very similar to my human children.
Anyway, what could cause this? Any suggestions would be appreciated. He is 9 years old and I can't figure out what started this annoying behavior.
The minute the visitors leave the house, everything returns to normal.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
I don't know what caused it, but I do have a solution. Jacob is extremely vocal and the best thing we ever did is teach "speak" and "no speak." When he is barking his head off, say "speak" "good boy!" "good speak!" and give him a treat. After he has "speak down," you can teach "no speak." We use a spray bottle of water mixed with a small bit of vinegar. When he is barking, say "no speak" and when he doesn't give him a firm squirt in the mouth (make sure you don't squirt him in the eyes). If he stops, praise him with "good no speak" and a treat. If he starts to bark again, repeat.

Jacob is pretty reliable with "no speak" now, unless the house is under surprise attack by squirrels and stray cats. Then, he goes nuts and I have to actually show him the water bottle to get him to stop. I haven't had to squirt him in a long time.

Good luck!

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Did you normally do something when guests come over that you don't do now? Give him a treat or let him outside or anything? It may sounds strange but I ask because Mocha barks when she wants something and is rather persistant about it. For example if I forget to let her outside right before I go to bed she will bark at the back door, if that doesn't work she comes and barks at me if I get up she leads me to the back door. Most of the time she went out an hour before so I know she doesn't have to go but it's our routine and she knows it. Maybe a long shot but worth some thought.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
may sound like a strange question to ask, but it isn't - is his hearing lessening?

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
Mitzi does the exact same thing when someone comes over or whenever she meets someone. She is 7 and has been at this for the last few years. I don't know what it's about, but a spray of water stops her for a while.

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
Sounds like he's barking to get attention - and when you try to correct him, he's getting what he wants.

What I've found works for my guys if they're being annoying is pushups

'You want attention? I'll give you attention.. 'sit! down! sit! sit! stand! down! stand! sit! stand! down!" after 2 or 3 minutes of this, my dogs aren't as keen on bothering me anymore...

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I agree its for attention. Make him sit down immediately, and then send him off into another room to lie down for a time out, but not in the crate if you use one.
Olie

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sit ups. I'm picturing that scene in my head and I'm rolling!!!
I thought about buying a squirt water bottle. Just to make him think I'd really use it! I just find it very odd that he's so vocal all of a sudden. I doubt he's going deaf. First of all, he can hear the sound of a zip lock baggie opening or a piece of Glad Wrap being touched no matter where he is. I thought he just wanted 100% attention of whomever happens to be here and a good way to show off is to 'yell' at mom. It's just strange how it's just starting now. I'd expect this from a much younger dog.
I don't think it has anything to do with being let out, or getting a treat, etc. as he spends most of his time alone in another room (by his choice). Maybe that's what it is, he's annoyed that he was disturbed!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts