Just Labradors banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you turn your computer off once you hear thunder OR do you wait till its really raining and the thunder is right over head or do you wait till you see it??

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Depends on how badly I want to be on the computer ;) If I'm not using it I'll shut it down when I hear it so I don't forget later.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
I shut it down when it gets fairly close. Since I'm on dial-up and have a connection that is overhead I also un-plug that. A near strike like the tree that the line passes through would raise heck. ::)

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Usually when it is getting close (as measured in the interval between the flash and the boom). I pull out the plugs even though we have surge protectors. I lost a server at one of my stores despite a surge protector in a lightning storm.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
We don't turn it off unless it's a really bad storm. There's actually a t-storm outside right now. :)

·
Registered
7,955 Posts
Basically if there's red on the radar and it's coming right at us, we'll unplug everything when it starts getting really hairy out.

My parents have had a few electrical goodies and phones/answering machines zapped by lightning so we try not to take a chance.

·
Registered
8,812 Posts
I have my computer and peripherals plugged into a battery back up. If it's a really bad storm I turn off the computer and then unplug the battery back up. Until recently we had whole house surge protection from the electric company and I didn't worry as much about things getting fried. Now that the electric company discontinued the service, I have been unplugging things in bad storms. I was amazed at how many everyday items have electronics in them.

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
No, we don't unplug anything. Probably dumb on our part. My mom, otoh, unplugs absolutely everything during storms. But we really don't get that many thunderstorms here.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts