Just Labradors banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a problem. Odie is now 1 year and 3 months old. I started leaving him out of his crate when I leave the house at around 9 months of age. For the most part, he's pretty good. He doesn't go to the bathroom in the house or anything like that. But I learned pretty quickly that I can't leave anything chewable within reach of him ie: tv remotes, books, cardboard boxes, etc... But every once in awhile either myself or my roommate will accidently leave something within reach that he can destroy, and most of the time he will.

Within the past week he has chewed up a highlighter pen (which required an e-vet visit), he chewed up one of my roommates books, and tonight my roommate left the tv remote on the couch, and when I got home it was destroyed.

He doesn't chew on furnature, or walls, or get into the garbage. It's only small things that he can carry to a spot of his choice and chew. He absolutley will not even attempt to do these things when somebody his home. It's only when he's home alone.

How do you train a dog to not do these things when your not around. My mom keeps telling me that I should start crating him again, but I really don't want to. Like I said, he doesn't do any damage as long as nothing is left out.

Any suggestions on how to discourage this behavior? It's impossible to catch him in the act, considering nobodys here when it happens.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
I'd put him back in his crate, if it were me, or baby-gating him in an absolutely dog-proofed room... if nothing else but to prevent another visit to the e-vet.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Agree with the multitudes - back in the crate. Diesel was liberated at 19 months old and was back in the crate 2 weeks later after a shredding spree that included serveral brand new, unread magazines and 2 manuals for products I had just bought (also unread). I am still not using all the features on my Treo because I never got to read the instructions.

He just got out a couple of weeks ago and is nearly 3 years old. He behaves himself now when left alone in the house.

He does like his crate and will still wander in there to nap on occasion.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Agree with the crate. We left Gus out at around that age and he chewed up a bedspread. Back in the crate. Now I leave him out for short spurts, but not longer than an hour. He's 18 mo. now. You'd think Bo could keep an eye on him, but no.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.