Just Labradors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Daisy somehow cut the side of her "ankle" last night. Poured some peroxide on it. It's a little swollen around the area, but does not seem to bother her at all. Does she need stitches? Any recommendations??

·
Registered
219 Posts
Stitches can only be given for a certain amount of time after the injury takes place. I'm not certain how long that window is but it might be too late for stitches. Peroxide can also damage the tissue around the injury. Can you buy some butterfly bandages from the pharmacy and try them with some neosporin?

·
Registered
146 Posts
For people stitches is usually no more than 24 hours but if the bleeding has stopped I wouldn't think stitches would be needed but you might want to ask the vet to be sure.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I learned years ago from an RN that hydrogen peroxide should not be used to clean a wound. It kills the bad stuff, but it kills the good stuff, too. Including the stuff that keeps the wound from scarring. (I was using it on a wound on my cheek at the time, ouch.)

She and a doctor told me to use an antiseptic solution like Hibiclens or some other type. I forget the name of the over-the-counter stuff I keep on hand, but it's that bottle of black, sludgy colored liquid that I add to a bowl of water for soaking a wound. I forget what it's called, but the pharmacist could tell you.

Also, use neosporin on it while it's healing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts