Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Zoe's paw pad is still bleeding and I can't get to the vet today because of Mom issues. OH boy.

Took her out to pee 30 minutes ago (10:00 a.m.) and she didn't want to pee. She normally pees at 9:30 and has a very loooooong pee.

Her sock is soaked with blood. :( I won't be home till 3:30; hopefully, she'll just rest and the bleeding will stop. But she does need to go before I leave home. She has been by my side all morning, very unusual for my independent Zoe.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Oh, wow, that's not good. Do you have any stypic powder? I have stuff for my horses called Blood Stopper Powder, if I lived closer I'd give you some. Can you hold pressure on it for awhile, try icing it, it will help the blood flow slow so it can clot better.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Sending blood-clotting thoughts to Zoe! Poor girl...

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I think Linda has good idea with the ice and pressure. I would not be comfortable leaving her bleeding like that

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
raian said:
Oh, wow, that's not good. Do you have any stypic powder? I have stuff for my horses called Blood Stopper Powder, if I lived closer I'd give you some. Can you hold pressure on it for awhile, try icing it, it will help the blood flow slow so it can clot better.
Aw man....I went to look and yes, we have a container of stypic powder but it's crusty and moldy!! Checked SU's medicine cabinet, and he has none. $$$--it. Sorry for the cuss.

Someone told me baking powder or baking soda? (for bleeding quicks?) Which one, I wonder, and will it help paw pads? or was it cornstarch?
anyone? I have to leave the house in an hour. oh lah.

TIA

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Crusty is OK - just crush the lumps - if its moldy do not use

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bearsdad said:
Crusty is OK - just crush the lumps - if its moldy do not use
Isn't it supposed to be white? Zoe's one is a yellowish mustard color now.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Linda, I think it's baking powder, or cornstarch... though I'd be inclined to use the lumpy stypic. Is she re-opening the wound whenever she walks on it?

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Labsrme said:
Ice might help too, Linda. Do you have any EMT gel? That is really good for stopping bleeding.
We have tubes and tubes of EMT. I did put it on initially, but she kept bleeding. I did put some Panalog (doggie antibiotic) and wrapped her up. Perhaps just before I leave, and after her p-break, I'll put some EMT to help stop the bleeding...

Felicia...the wound is an open wound. Part of her paw pad is gone. :'(
I don't know what to put on it...EMT? Cornstarch? the mustard colored stypic? antibiotic?

Tomorrow will be vet day if this bleeding continues. Luckily, she just lays around when I'm gone.
This may help.

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay. SU will buy stypic powder on his way home for lunch.
If she's still bleeding, he will take her to the vet.

Thanks for all your input and concern. I hope she pees, though (outside). LOL

·
Registered
7,052 Posts
My stypic powder is a mustard yellow. I really don't think the stuff goes bad.

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The vet called.
SU bought Stypic powder at lunch which I put on. It must hurt because she yelped.

Again wrapped w/gauze, vet tape and a sock.. went to do my Mom chores.

The bleeding did stop, sorta...now it's kinda' oozy.

Called the vet.. she said to put bacitracin or neosprorin 2x a day. She also said okay for Zoe to have a swim tomorrow if she is up and about (she has not wanted to do anything since we got home at 8 this morning) She also had 1 aspirin w/dinner.

Where we go, she can just swim and not walk/run along the beach.

I'll take her to see the vet tomorrow just to make sure the wound is clean and see what we can do to speed the healing process.

thanks everyone.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Poor baby girl. How is she this morning Linda?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts