Just Labradors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, we have a fenced in yard and one side of the yard is lined with forsythia bushes. Since the grass (their first snack of choice) is buried under the snow...they've taken to consuming the bushes. Branch by branch. Today was warm enough that I thought I might scoop a little and their poops is just falling apart with stick debris.

Now, they are only out there for brief periods of time in the morning, at lunch, after dinner and before bed. Anytime a stick makes its way into the house I trade for it, but how can I get them to stop eating the bushes? I'm terrified one of them is going to get a stick stuck or puncture something. Never mind we'll have no bushes in the spring. But they are obsessed!

Anyone? Suggestions?

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Do they not like the taste of bitter apple?? I don't know if that would harm the plants, but it might be an idea.

I don't know if it would work or turn out bad, but what about scaring them with a loud noise or something when they go to eat them?

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
I know how you feel. I too will be checking for answers. Kate is a stick eater/chewer & it scares me to death. She will leave it....for a moment when I tell her, but she is right back doing it. She is six months old now...I sure hope she outgrows this. My other two were not as bad as she is with sticks. :(
I forgot to add....we have about 4-5 inches of snow in our yard which is fenced in & I thougt I was safe. Oh not....she roots like a pig & digs holes in the snow & darn if she doesn't find sticks.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Do you go out with them? I never worried about things like this with Crash, but Angus has given me a great understanding of "supervised" free time. :rolleyes: The only advice I can give is to go out with them and practice "Leave It." I try to make "Leave It" a HUGE, HUGE reward, every single time...and it has worked pretty well. He is always trying to munch on something or other...sticks, poo, etc. Last night we were out back and he started rooting around and I said the magic words, and he bounded away from whatever it was.

I wish I had an easier solution than that for incurable grazers, but if there is one, I haven't found it. :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts