Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im in class that I do not get. I worked 11-7 last night and have not been to bed. I got to the school at 10 for a stats tutor that did not come into 12:30. I had a class at 11 so fine. But this class is till 9p the tutor did not help. I wasted the time i could have slept. i did have a breakdown and cried all the way to the mall to get lunch. i think Im better now. Please cross your fingars that the hour drive home at 9p is a safe one. I might be seeing purple or pink elephants on the way. Since I have been up so long does this post even make sense?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I hated statistics. Like you, I cannot get it. I got a D in that stupid class. I usually get As and Bs in my classes. I even bombed a mid term that was open book, open notes - shows how much I didn't get it. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Good luck! I love math so stats have always come easy for me...we are doing random variables in my advanced networking class and observing poisson and exponential distributions for single queue systems...so stats don't go away! As long as you know what's what it's just plug and chug into formulas.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
For those that hate statictics. When you get on an airplane, and the GPS fails, it will be an inertial reference system that guides the pilot to the destination and very accurately. It is all done by statistical calculations. Learn to love them.:)

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
I had problems with statistics ALL the way through my college career (BA>MA>PhD). When I was working on my MA, my stat prof took pity on a few of us klutzes and bargained that he'd not flunk us IF we agreed to take the course again. Of course we did.

Later, since I had to choose a minor for my PhD, instead of choosing something closer to my field (clinical psychology) such as Vocational Rehab, etc., I chose Mathematics hoping to remedy my severe deficiency. The head of the Math department at that time at the U of Fla worked out a program for me that involved courses that provided basic training in math concepts and fundamentals, which then progressed through Differential and Integral calculus, then statistics. I got no lower than B grades and usually A's. (Since most of my classmate/competitors were engineering students fluent in math, I didn't feel too bad.)

I found a HUGE (& pleasing) difference in the quality of instruction from dedicated math profs versus that from psychology profs who were teaching stat.

Rather than blame yourself for NOT having math ability, it COULD WELL BE THAT you've never had a really good teacher in the basic steps you need on which to base your future learning.

At least that was my experience.

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
I have trouble with statistics, too, and I think Bob is absolutely right that the style of instruction makes a huge difference. I really need to understand the underlying concepts and principles in order to make sense of something, and a lot of what you learn in statistics is not intuitive, at least at first. You are learning to think about tendencies as they apply across populations, and if you're a discrete thinker who likes things black & white that can be hard. If you don't have a professor who can explain the ideas, then it's just manipulating meaningless equations.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
I loved Stat's class...took 3 semsters once from the math dept for my minor in math and 2 from the college of business as they were required for my Finance major.

I agree with Bob PR if someone didn't teach you the basic correctly you are going to be totally lost. As my father is a math whiz engineer who taught all his kids to love the subject I never had a problem.

And I agree I do use it to this day in my work. I am a cost account.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Haha Colin!

I feel your pain, and hated stats too - took AP in high school hoping to never have to see them again. Luckily I just squeezed into UPenn the year before they made it a pre-requisite for my grad program :)

Of course, I spent last weekend trying to calculate the Chi-square value for pregnancy rates of one herd of cows versus another - so I guess they really are inescapable!

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
For those that hate statictics. When you get on an airplane, and the GPS fails, it will be an inertial reference system that guides the pilot to the destination and very accurately. It is all done by statistical calculations. Learn to love them.:)
I don't need to love them. I hope the pilot loved his stats class. ;) I might appreciate stats, but I don't have to love it. :p

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Rather than blame yourself for NOT having math ability, it COULD WELL BE THAT you've never had a really good teacher in the basic steps you need on which to base your future learning.

At least that was my experience.
I struggled with statistics in undergrad, but I had a professor during my master's program who was a big math guy. His Ph.D was in mathematics and his research involved a lot of statistics. It finally clicked, and I'm sure it was because of the quality of the professor. He loved teaching, he knew what he was talking about, and he was effective at transferring his knowledge. Some professors can be very smart, but incredibly ineffective at teaching. That describes my college professor. He was a Harvard trained guy, so I'm sure he was intelligent, but he worked at the university to research. Teaching was just a necessary evil to collect his paycheck.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Statistics is very mathematical...but people with a strong calculus background probably have an advantage in understanding the underlying concepts. All the engineering statistics courses I've taken have required a calculus background (which all engineers have anyway for our degree requirements).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts