Just Labradors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Diesel & Diamond are 1 yr 8 month old black labs that have always been together. My husband & I now have them in our family and I am finding that they can't function without knowing what the other is doing. They were in an outside kennel until we got them 3 (approx) months ago. We now have them inside, in their own crates, they do stay out all night ( in the house). They have been really good, except when you want to work with just one or to take just one outside. The female is more protective, if that's the right word, than the male. Does anyone have any direction for us? I would like to seperate them even if it's just a little!!!

Thanks for your input

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
I have heard that this is a problem. You need to spend one on one time with each of them away from the other I think. This was a consideration when we got Orson. I thought about getting his sibling but changed my mind because of the work it might take.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
As old as they are this will be tough - but you really need to work with each one separately. Are you enrolling in an obediance program? A structured situation with each one individually where the dog is engaged directly with you (or another human in the family) is the best thing. Leave one home entirely.

·
Registered
19 Posts
This is a tough situation. When we adopted Mickey(border Collie) from a very bad environment he immediately adopted Joey as his brother, they have a super tight bond and were constanly worried about what the other one is doing. We had to each take a dog and go somewhere where they were comfortable to be trained without worrying about the other. I must warn you that once they get back together all the mastermind naughty planning starts all over again. :laugh:

You need to give them time to form their own identities, without the other one.

I took Mickey away to my parents house for a week and was able to teach him so much.

I hope this helps!!!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Mac & Rogue are litter mates and we have had to do a lot of work with them seperatly. It hasn't always worked out. We have put one in the kennel when we work with the other one, but they still have a bond that is scary because I have no idea what will happen later in life if one goes before the other.

Because Rogue she is more dominate and kinda rules the house, I tend to take Mac with me once in a while on short errands to give us alone time. We go to the pet store etc.

I think it is good to work with them seperatly so that they will bond and listen to you.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
I'm no expert by any means, but I've heard that when littermates are raised together, you need to not only train each one separately, but socialize them separately. For example, enroll each in his/her own obedience class. Or take each to daycare on separate days. Or take them to the dog park separately.

Hoppy had been raised with is littermate (sister) until they gave them back to the breeder (14 months). The breeder said that the previous owners said Hoppy and his sister were "joined at the hip." When the breeder got them back, the first thing she did was to separate them at her house with other dogs....let them socialize and play with other dogs without brother/sister.

·
Registered
16,476 Posts
It's good that you're starting to separate them...
good advice from all above.

Advice: SOCIALIZE, SOCIALIZE and more socialize

A partner in our firm got 2 brothers...and he is not going to neuter them, btw.

they are about 9 months.

Had them here to socialize w/Zoe.
Their behavior: one will circle Zoe, the other will go straight for her.

this also happened at puppy school.

Some say it can be done, and many have been successful.

good luck, and I hope it all works out for you and your dogs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts