Just Labradors banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The landlord requires we have an area rug in each room and hallway since my roommate and I have dogs, and after measuring on Wednesday I ordered this from Crate and Barrel today:

(It's a rug :) ) I'm going to put it in my study, and the walls will be the palest shade of blue you've ever seen (Ralph Lauren color called Whisper). I feel like this is my last apartment to go as girly as I want with the decorating :D

This is the window in room it will be going in (still needs some cleaning done before we move in). The house was built in 1900 as a duplex, and we rent the first floor:

And this is looking into my room at the front of the house (the landlord was able to save the original wood floors, which I really like because it means I can swiffer and not vacuum!):

Thanks for looking - I just had to tell someone!! I cannot wait to move in, June 1 cannot be here quickly enough!

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
I would kill for your stain glass windows! **** idiots who owned our house before us sold ours(theirs at the time).

Please keep the pics coming as you decorate. We are in the midst of restoring a turn of the century house. I love looking at what everyone is doing. Are you trying to keep the look of the period?

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
That looks like a cool old house. You only have 2 pics of it though??? Where do you live again?

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Decorating is so much fun

I wish my friend and her power drill would get back over to my place so we could finish!

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Labs4life, I had hoped to keep the look of the time period, but the landlord put in a very modern looking kitchen (pics below). However, John and I will likely be buying in the same neighborhood next year, so when we renovate that we're going to try our darndest to be true to the original, grand houses.

While the kitchen is nothing I would've ever picked out, I think it will be fun to "try on" a different decorating style for a year!

Amy I'm in Bucks County right now, and this apartment where I'll be moving is in West Philadelphia. And yes I have loads of more pictures!

Since you all asked for them ;) here are some more!

Living room/Dining room area, I don't know if we'll even have a kitchen table, possibly just a large coffee table and a loveseat and two big cushy chairs. The problem is off each side of this room is a bathroom door and an entrance to the bedrooms, and behind where the photographer is is the kitchen.

Kitchen (opposite the first picture):

The island in the kitchen:

The ceiling fan:

Crown molding:

Hallway to my room:

Any suggestions for how to layout the living room/kitchen/dining room? The dimensions are from the island to the window 10' and from wall to wall the opposite way 14'. Thanks again for looking and the encouragement - this is the first time I've done this by myself so I need all the input I can get! ;D

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
Incredible crown mouldings! I like the 5 panel doors and raised panel walls too! I have a fondnest for the craftsmanship in houses from the turn of the century. Kitchens are the toughest to do. It's hard to blend the era with the modern appliances. We haven't done ours yet. Our kitchen was done about 5 years ago before we purchased the house.

I have a bazillion links for new/old house supplies and renovation items. Unfortunately they are on my home computer. I love restoring older houses! You'll have a blast! Half the fun is researching in history for old pics.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I had hoped to keep the look of the time period, but the landlord put in a very modern looking kitchen
Oh yea, that kitchen totally doesn't go with the house! LOL! It will be fun though, like you said. :)

I will step out of this thread now as I suck at decorating. ;D

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
what a beautiful place. I can't wait to see pics once you've moved in....please post!

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Gosh that's beautiful! Reminds me of my apartment i had on city line ave in Phila...original flooring, gorgeous windows!
I'm excited for you!

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Wow, Jess. That IS a modern kitchen!

Love the windows and the crown molding! Can't wait to see pics when you are in! :)

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Ooooooooooooooooo! I'm whimpering here...
The windows... the stained glass... the original wood floors... the molding....
Luscious. Just luscious!

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
I LOVE your windows & floors! I just love it when things are unique and special, not cookie-cutter-all-the-same. It will look great!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts