Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, Star has come home. Poor baby, she was so confused. I picked her up from the vet's office and she was still real groggy from her surgery. I sort of wish that they wouldn't send the dogs home the same day as their spay, because she was so disoriented and sick from the anesthsia and to top it off she was in a strange place where she knew no one. She was such a good girl, she threw up a couple of times and was so good she would go to the door sho I could let her outside, she didn't want to be sick in the house. But she finally settled down and went to sleep at about ten and she slept through the night. She was rather anxious about the crate, but we will work on that. She was my little shadow this morning, except when I went to the bathroom, she had no interest in following me down the hall in the house for some reason. She will probably get over that as she adjusts to the new surroundings. She seemed to much more comfortable outside while I was walking her, she even was bouncing around chasing moths that flew up out of the grass as we walked. She really enjoyed walking. She didn't seem to have any interest in eating this morning. They gave me a bag of Science Diet and told me that is what she had been eating at the shelter but she was sniffing it and then looking at me like "What the heck is this?" Which is of course just my human interpretation of her look, but....

Here are some pics, She looks so skinny to me, can anyone tell if she looks like she needs to gain weight? To me she does look too skinny. Also, the vet says she is 6 months old and weighs 29 lbs, will she get much bigger than she is now, or is she close to her full size? I wouldn't mind if she got bigger, but I am not sure how much taller she will get at this age. The pictures aren't that great, she wasn't feeling good and it shows. Here is my baby:

Chillin' by the front door

more chillin'

Checking out the new crib...

"Are you done yet? I am not in the mood for a photo shoot"

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Poor girlie....I think she needs to fill out a lil, but then again, I am owned by a couple of tanks... she's a pretty girl.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Welcome Star! Eat!

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
What a good girl she is.

Regarding weight, she looks a bit thin to me. The siggy pic of HK, she is a petite athletic shape female. Definitely not a show specimen, but the vet tells me she is the perfect weight for her size.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Java was spayed about 3 weeks ago, our vet kept her overnight. I'm surprised your vet didn't. She was so ready to come home...she was filled with energy and ready to go. She didn't seem to have any after effects from the surgery or anesthesia, but she's also a bigger pup-6 months old and 50lbs, so that may be why. I'm sure Star will get her appetite back. She looks like such a sweet girl, very petite and delicate. We call Java Queen Java Heavy Tank-because she is a tank!! Good luck and feel better Star!!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Welcome to your forever home Star. In a few days you will start to feel much better. Your new Mom and family will take really good care of you and help you gain a little weight. She may just be on the petite side (size wise) of labby pups but as long as she is healthy, happy and loved by her new family; all will be well. I would bet she will be playing and bouncing around the house in no time. It may be that she has not spent a lot of time "inside" in her short life. Good thoughts and wishes as all of you settle in together. :) Keep the pictures coming - she is a real sweetie.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
I dropped Kacey off for her spay on my way to work and picked her up on my way home. She was fine just very sleepy. She got in the car fine at the vet, but when we got home my husband had to carry her in. She slept the rest of the evening from what I remember and then was fine the next. I'd rather have her home than at the vet overnight unless absolutely necessary.

She does look teeny.

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
Gracie is almost 7 months old and weighs 50 lbs. I am not an expert, she looks a little thin but i am sure she will fill out. I am glad she is home and feeling better. My vet did not keep Gracie overnight either..they look so sad and confused when they come home . Good luck w her, she is so cute

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I just went home to check on Star and she is doing great. We took a walk and she bounced and played and tried to dig at something in a snake hole she found (and started digging at) this morning. I'm going to have to do something about that snake hole. She was extremely disappointed when I had to turn around and take her back to the house. She is also eating, she had emptied her Kong that I left her this morning and had started on her newly stuffed Kong as I was leaving. The Kong is just filled with dry food, not very challenging but I thought it would be easier on her tummy. I was so happy to see that she had cleaned out her Kong. This weekend I may try a tiny bit of peanut butter in it too and see how that goes for her. Thanks for all the well wishes, we are so happy to have our little girl home!!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Both of my girls came home the same day as their spay - no problems at all. My vet offers the option of a flush - which I had both of my girls get - to help move the anesthesia out of thier body faster and to keep them hydrated so they come around and get back on their feet quicker. Both of my girls were able to walk fine out to the car when i picked them up at the end of the day. I love my vet!!

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
From the looks of Star she has more field then bench lab (ie long legs and tail) like my Cinnamon. She was spay at 6 months and she weighted 31 pounds. She has maintained her weighted of between 69 and 71 pounds for 4 years now. She is a self regulator so I don't have to worry too much about what she eats and she seems to keep herself in her perfect zone.

Hope Star feels better soon...Cinnamon came home the day of her spay and I was glad she did. About 3am she started to wimper so I gave her a pain pill at the vets it would have been 6am before anyone came in.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts