Just Labradors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Star has been home for almost a week now and we are really loving her. She has such a sweet personality and is so good with my son. She is in love with her Cuz, her Kong, and the little stuffed monkey we bought her, though at first she didn't really seem to know what they were. Now, if my son picks up one of her toys she comes running to me to me and then back to my son with this look like, "He's touching my stuff!" She hasn't had a potty accident in the house yet and goes to the door and barks whenever she wants to go out.

She does the strangest thing though, on our walks, and I do not know how to tell what it might mean in doggie talk. When we walk by other dogs, especially if they are on a chain, she jumps as high she can with her ears perked, her head high and her tail straight up in the air, and barks. It is really the only time we hear her bark. There is a neighbor down the street with me that has four dogs chained in their yard (grrr, i hate that) and every time we end up walking by their house she does this. She does it a little bit to the dogs in fences we pass, but not as much, she doesn't really bark, she doesn't leap about, but her ears and tail do go up and she will trot sideways trying to stare at the fenced in dogs.. It is really the chained dogs that set her off. I don't believe she is trying to play, but I am not sure what she is "saying" and if it is a problem I need to work on with her or if it is something we can live with. I now just try to avoid that house on our walks, but it is difficult as they are in a rather central area in the neighborhood.

She also rubs on things like a cat would. She rubs on the couch, on the walls. Not constantly, just every once and a while she will get up and do it.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
I think its excitement, but I'd curb it anyways...have some treats in your pocket and call her to come to you and give her a treat. Distract it.

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
She also rubs on things like a cat would. She rubs on the couch, on the walls. Not constantly, just every once and a while she will get up and do it.
Both my girls do this and the real funny thing is Rush loves to rub on my wet hair when I'm blow drying it upside down and on wet clothes that have Downey fabric softener on them. If they are minus the Downey, she pretty much ignores it. lol:D

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Seems normal to me. Bauer used to do the same thing. He is now 18 months old, and only pays attention to dogs that are also out walking. If the dog is barking at him from inside a house, or in a fenced yard, or tie out he might glance at it, but doesn't pay much attention. If the dog is walking on a leash, he perks up and really wants to meet the dog.

I think he has just learned that if a dog is at its house, he isn't going to get a chance to play with it. If the dog is out on a walk, he might get a chance. :)

He is also a rubber. He like to lay on the floor and rub against the bottom of the couch. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts