Just Labradors banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Nothing like freshly mown lawn. Always smells so good after a long dry and brown winter. We have 7-1/2 acres in grass so it's a two day job for me, even on a riding mower. After I finished cutting today it was time for us to go pick up the mail from the mailbox out on the highway.

We couldn't train near our usual spot because Mr. and Mrs Honker. are nesting near by and the Gander is being very protective right now ...

So lets go over to the other side of the house and just play fetch frisbees and kongs for awhile. How about a nice SIT and each waits your turns?

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

Faster Rem!

Atta boy Cappy, prance for Daddy!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Great photos - your property is gorgeous, Jim. You are one lucky man!

Bev.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Beautiful land and dogs!

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Beautiful as always, Jim. I am curious. What do you use to paint that grass green. That is a lot of land to be painting. Maybe I can use some of whatever you use. Our grass up here in MN is brown and probably won't change for at least another month.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
wiscpayton Beautiful, Jim. We are expecting 6" of snow on Sunday Your pups look like they are having a great time.
HersheyK's Dad Beautiful as always, Jim. I am curious. What do you use to paint that grass green. That is a lot of land to be painting. Maybe I can use some of whatever you use. Our grass up here in MN is brown and probably won't change for at least another month.
Having lived in WI, and fished and hunted in MN ... that's why we retired to N TX! I don't enjoy shoveling 6" of "partly cloudy." When people used to ask me how the weather was in WI I'd tell them that we had four seasons ... June, July, Aug and WINTER.

Here where we are in N TX we have late Nov through mid March that's cold (rarely below freezing) and then 8 months of very nice weather with only two months of really hot temps.

;)

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I love seeing pics of your property, Jim. It's so....perfect! :) Both dogs look great, but Cappy looks incredibly handsome today! :)

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jackie, we are 75 miles NNE of Dallas and 30 miles E of Sherman TX, just a few miles from the Red River which is the OK border boundry line.

I think I've posted this here before ... a google map of our homestead property. Guess what all the ponds are for? Maximize your screen to view and then use the zoom feature to see exactly where we are.

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v...&scene=36688489&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
That is just beautiful, Jim. Are the ponds natural, or man-made? I have only been in Texas around the Austin - Round Rock area, and they only have man-made 'tanks' there. Also, not as much nice grass or trees, more sand and some cacti.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
That's a heck of a lawn to mow! Great pics. I love the one with Cappy and the frisbee.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
That is just beautiful, Jim. Are the ponds natural, or man-made? I have only been in Texas around the Austin - Round Rock area, and they only have man-made 'tanks' there. Also, not as much nice grass or trees, more sand and some cacti.
All of the ponds (tanks is the generally used term here) are natural to the extent that they were low spots that collected water during rainy periods but then evaporated during dry times. We did a lot of site engineering to determine surface flows and then excavated the ponds using heavy equipment to get the depth and shapes we wanted for both dawg training and hunting purposes.

Here's a rendering of our wetlands property before we excavated. The numbers shown were all laser transit readings that we then excavated down to. Below each drawing is a work-in-prcess pic.

This is the training pond in the lower right of the Google map that we use for more advanced drills for dawg training.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
And finally, this is the pond right next to our home.

(Cappy couldn't wait for it to refill.)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts