Just Labradors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thrilled to hear a US man won the Gold Medal for Olympic Figure Skating.

Apparently, the Russian skater, Yevgeny Plushenko is not happy because Even Lysacek did it without landing a quadruple jump. I think he needs to just grow up, put on his big boy panties & suck it up, he did not win the gold medal.

Plushenko: Lysacek not a champion without quad The silver medalist thinks the sport has regressed if triple jumps are enough to win
MOSCOW (Reuters) - Olympic men's figure skating gold medallist Evan Lysacek is not a "true champion", his predecessor and Vancouver runner-up Yevgeny Plushenko has told Russian media.

Plushenko, hoping to become the first man in almost six decades to win back-to-back titles, lost to the American by 1.31 points on Thursday.

"You can't be considered a true men's champion without a quad," the 27-year-old told Russian state television RTR.

Lysacek did not attempt a quadruple jump, considered the most difficult in figure skating, in either Tuesday's short or Thursday's free programmes, instead wowing the judges with artistry and exquisite footwork.

"For someone to stand on top of the podium with the gold medal around his neck with just doing triple jumps, to me it's not progress, it's a regress because we've done triples 10 or even 20 years ago," Plushenko said.

"Just doing nice transitions and being artistic is not enough because figure skating is a sport, not a show," he said.

"Of all the men who had competed tonight, only two -- myself and (Japan's) Takahiko Kozuka (who finished eighth) -- were able to land a clean quad.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
There's more to figure skating than jumping. That's why they don't call it ice jumping.

Plushenko's a jackass who's afraid to look at his own program because it was filled with bad landings and average footwork. Lysaceck was the best all-around skater in a fairly mediocre year.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Yeah, Evan didn't land any huge jumps. But he was so much more fluid and did land the jumps he did perfectly. Unlike mullet man, who stumbled with his lands. He's just bitter he didn't win. He thought he won it before he even took the ice. I have never liked him. Or his attitude.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Plushenko was too full of himself. He definitely needed to get his ego taken down a few notches. It just goes to show that Lysacek was that much better to win the gold without a quad. Go team USA!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts