Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Paddysmom mentioned her dh is stretching the budget regarding groceries and coming up with some wonderful meals.
What is everyone's cheap meal? I need some ideas on cheap and nutritional. :)

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
Cook from scratch and forget the packaged, processed garbage that's 'convenient'. Buy local produce when it's in season, rather than pay inflated prices for imported produce. If you do this, you'll see your grocery bill go down and you'll be eating better.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Cook from scratch and forget the packaged, processed garbage that's 'convenient'. Buy local produce when it's in season, rather than pay inflated prices for imported produce. If you do this, you'll see your grocery bill go down and you'll be eating better.
I agree, shop the specials and take the time to think ahead We need to go back to the basics

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I buy meat in bulk and freeze it when it is on sale. Also I try to buy produce when it is on sale. This week the special was broccoli. My kids love it steamed, sometimes with cheese. But I also make a yummy chicken broccoli cassorole my kids will eat. I bought 40 lbs of chicken a couple months ago so I already had the chicken.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
I buy meat in bulk and freeze it when it is on sale. Also I try to buy produce when it is on sale. This week the special was broccoli. My kids love it steamed, sometimes with cheese. But I also make a yummy chicken broccoli cassorole my kids will eat. I bought 40 lbs of chicken a couple months ago so I already had the chicken.
I buy the family packages of chicken, pork chops, etc. and re-package it. The Reynolds vacuum sealer is your best friend when it comes to freezing meat! When I can afford it, I want to get a really good vacuum sealer, but this one does the job for cheap.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Become a vegetarian. Cheaper, better for you, better for the environment.

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
Damnit.

That. =)

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've never heard of the Reynolds sealer. Can you tell me about it? I also freeze and buy bulk, but I have to be careful about the meats getting freezer burned. Thanks!

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
There is a sealer at Costco, it runs around $150 Cdn. It comes with heavy dudy freezer plastic as well as some sirtight containers with vacuum seal tops. It is handy if you buy bulk meat so you can seperate & package for freezing at home. Sometimes you can get a really nice roats chealply, and you can cut it into beautiful steaks at home. If you use a sealer, you eliminate the possibilty of freezer burn. tupperwear, freexer paper & ziploc bags will eventually let the freezer burn in. Not so with vacuum sealed packaging. So you can take advantage of the bulk meat & butcher sales. =)

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
ditto all of the above - buy fresh, buy local if possible, and buy in bulk when you can. I also buy all my spices etc. from the bulk department - you get the same quantity for much, much, much less. Why pay 3.29 for one of those little spice shakers when you can get it for .40?

I also shop the flyers - I have 3 grocery stores within 3 blocks of each other, so I will buy whatever is cheapest at whichever store - eggs and fruit over there, meat here, veggies there.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I shop in my parent's fridge.. i find the location convenient and the prices are good.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
I've never heard of the Reynolds sealer. Can you tell me about it? I also freeze and buy bulk, but I have to be careful about the meats getting freezer burned. Thanks!
You can find it in the same place as the ziploc baggies. It's a little, battery-operated, hand-held gadget made by the RJ Reynolds company, and you must use their quart- and gallon-size bags with it. It does a great job of getting all the air out of the bag and meat freezes beautifully for months. I was most impressed at New Year's, when I took out half a (raw) leg of lamb that I had frozen last Easter. Not an iota of freezer burn, and when thawed it was perfect.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
I have a nice Foodsaver vacuum sealer. And I really do love it. BUT- I do not like to pay for the replacement bags. They tend to be a bit pricey.

Also- I find I save money on groceries when I plan out my meals before going grocery shopping.

I also go to a local butcher to get a lot of my meat now and I find that saves me money. Plus the quality is great. I just bought four NY strip steaks yesterday and they were only $28. I found that to be a really great price.

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
I have a nice Foodsaver vacuum sealer. And I really do love it. BUT- I do not like to pay for the replacement bags. They tend to be a bit pricey.

Also- I find I save money on groceries when I plan out my meals before going grocery shopping.

I also go to a local butcher to get a lot of my meat now and I find that saves me money. Plus the quality is great. I just bought four NY strip steaks yesterday and they were only $28. I found that to be a really great price.
Amy, where are you going?

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
I have a nice Foodsaver vacuum sealer. And I really do love it. BUT- I do not like to pay for the replacement bags. They tend to be a bit pricey....

If you get the rolls of freezer material and make your own bags it is a lot cheaper. Also I think Wal-Mart has their own version of the rolls which is a lot cheaper than buying the actual Foodsaver brand of bags or rolls.

I shudder whenever I see what meat costs in a store. Makes me glad I hunt. 120 pounds of meat for $70.00 is I have someone else process it, $1.00 if I process it.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I got my Foodsaver for cheap. I bought it at Tuesday Mornings. Nothing fancy, older model, but it works wonders. I also bought the canisters that go with them. Strawberries will keep at least 2 weeks in them.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts