Just Labradors banner

Spinal contusion - paralysis below waist

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Paul0130 
#1 ·
Our sweet boy was involved in a terrible accident and is now paralyzed from the waist down. I actually haven't logged into this forum in 7 years and kinda sad looking at old posts where I was asking questions about our new puppy (who is now 7). The vets took an MRI and it was actually good news when we were told it was a spinal contusion and no surgery would be required. We were also told there is a chance of full recovery. I guess the vets can't tell us if there is a good chance, or bad chance, just a chance. He is receiving hyperbaric oxygen therapy for next couple of days and will be allowed to come home Monday. He is in otherwise great health. He had daily walks and plenty of running around the backyard with his brother. The vets also told us that we will need to help him to urinate by compressing his stomach, as he is not able to do that on his own. Do any of you know what the best online resources are for dogs with paralysis and therapy? My wife and I are 100% up to the challenge to get our boy back to his old self and will do whatever it takes. I know I'll need to buy a sling to get him up and around, but the vet hasn't mentioned anything to me so far to prepare us for when he comes home. I'm also assuming we'll need to get some kind of doggie wheelchair or something right? We just want to make sure we are prepared for all the required therapy to help him regain he legs again if possible. Thank you.

#3 ·
We had next door neighbors that have a Lab that sounds just like what yours has. They just made sure she had lots of exercise. They used a sling for her and had a wheel harness made just for her now she can run and be free! She is a very Happy doggie! The owners are young and strong. They like you are hoping that someday the feeling will come back. They like you were told there was hope. They are making the best of it. Hope things will work out for you as well.

#4 ·
In May 2019 our nine year old lab herniated a disc while playing with a neighbors puppy. He came walking down the driveway and collapsed. We had to get him on a blanket to carry him into the house. To make a long story short, we were given the option of surgery of physical therapy (mostly provided by my wife and me). We chose the latter. We were taught how to express his bladder but, fortunately, it was unecessary. We learned to take him out into the yard and set him up in a prone position. He would pee into the grass laying down. It worked pretty well. We had four dog beds in the living and we would roll him frequently from one bed to the next. My wife and I are retired, so we had time to do this about all day. Sonny would whimper when he wanted a change. During his recovery, we would work his legs and took him to PT sessions with a pro. But, those had limited results. He just didn't want to use his legs. We bought him a life jacket and put him in the hot tub where I would pull him to and fro into the jets. And, he started swimming. Great sign. During all this, I developed a hernia which was going to make it impossible for me to help move him. I built a sled and ramps that we could roll him onto. My wife could pull him onto the sled into the yard. We would set him up in the grass and he would pee and then crawl a short distance and poop! We were so happy! So, he could perform his bodily functions - he just needed us to get him in and out of the house. He was a perfect patient and was tolerant of us rolling him from bed to bed to sled to bed. One thing we were aware of during his recovery. He seemed prone to despair. He had the most pitiful whimper. We loved on him constantly to keep his spirits up. This went on for about three months. He got to where he would crawl across the yard to pick a place to poop. One day, Momma decided he needed a bath. It was July, so, it didn't take long for the bath water to warm in the kiddie pool. When it came time for a rinse, the cold water in the bucket made him shoot to his feet! He actually took a step. We were beyond thrilled!!! And so it went. Over a couple more months, one step turned into two or three and so on. At some point he climbed the steps into the house. And he progressed to normally walking. He still has an occasional shuffle when he walks. I suppose this all took about five months. I really didn't want to do a journal because improvement came slow (but steady). Would we do it again? Heck yeah. Anything for my boy. Sorry to be so long-winded, but, this isn't even half the story! Good luck with your dog.

#5 ·
Man I have learned a lot since posting this! I feel like I can write a book. Our boy is actually walking! Much like Crewmax42's story, I was out back one day grilling, and Pal just shimmied his way up and started walking. I freaked out! I jumped up and grabbed him real quick before he fell and starting telling my wife "he walked! he actually walked!!". After that we took a video and got a treat, and he did it again! That clip is included in a video my daughter-in-law put together of all his progress. Anyway, if anyone has any questions about paralysis and rehab, let me know. We had him in hyperbaric oxygen chamber when it first happened, then cold laser therapy, full range of motion rehab, Assisi loop, and acupuncture. Basically, we threw the kitchen sink at it so not sure what exactly worked, or maybe it was combination of all of it (acupuncture came after he started walking). Here is a link to the video. Enjoy!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.