Just Labradors banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Spina bifada

Any one know an adult who has been diagnosed with it? I have a friend (early 50's) who had an x-ray recently (her first back x-ray) and the doctor called her into the office a few days later and asked "Did you know you have spina bifada?" Nope, she did not. She's going back for an MRI sometime soon, but is pretty freaked right now. Every thing she and I can find on the internet is about babies/kids that have it, or are lucky to live into young adulthood. Apparently there is an occult (sp?) version that is "hidden". Anyway she has a lot of back pain and the doctor denies that they are related conditions.

I told her I would ask around and this is a fairly knowledgeable group!

·
Registered
10,636 Posts
not sure about the back pain and I won't pretend I know anything about it but my sister works with children who have the condition and she has talked about the really intense headaches and nausea that bothers them.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
My daughter has spina bifida occulta. We never knew it until after she had her first child and had severe back pain. They xrayed her and we found out. She always had a bruise on her lower back/tailbone area but we didn't know why. Doctors were not concerned. She has to be a little careful about hurting herself but has no restrictions in her daily life. The only time she had pain or a flare up was when she was in labor. She also has a red birthmark on the back of her neck, strawberry it's called. I read on the internet that this was a sign of spina bifida. I think it's strange that as she grew up that no doctors connected this.

I would reassure your friend that this might not be a serious problem. It is not for my daughter. Hope hers is not also.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
It's obviously something she has had her whole life, and was OK until now. I can't imagine that a doctor might not think that her back pain could be caused by this. Just by aging, having various experience that could be tough on your back, some arthritis processes etc, could cause pain from it now, where it didn't cause any before. But I don't think she needs to be freaked out that it is something awful that might have drastic consequences now, because she has always had it, and now just knows about it. I hope that she finds a doctor who can explain it better to her, and give her the information and assurance that she needs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.