Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This won't be much of a Chrismas this year seeing that we will be spending a good part of our day in ICU with my dad. He is not concious but still....
For the most part they have been WONDERFUL. A couple I wanted to fire out of the room but my husband said that would be an abuse of my power LOL.
But would it be odd to take snacks for the ICU staff? After all they are working, in ICU, on Christmas....

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
I don't think it's odd to take the staff something. I think they will appreciate it. So sorry your dad is in ICU. Not a happy way to spend Christmas.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Quite the contrary...it has been my experience that they appreciate the gesture.
We spent much of last Christmas season at a hospice house, and the nurses and staff
seemed to enjoy the cookies and such we brought.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
The staff may never remember your names, they may never remember your faces. But they will ALWAYS remember the gesture.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Having worked many years in the hospital before I went to the corporate offices I can tell you the ICU staff will so appreciate it. I suspect like most facilites they will feed the staff a Christmas dinner/lunch for free but the extra treats to snack on will be much appreciated.

The little something to say hey we appreciate you working on the holiday and giving our loved one the special care that you do will mean a lot to them.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
I'm so sorry for you and your family- not a happy way to be spending the holidays! The only thing I can say about the food, is it is a kind gesture, and maybe its different in the ICU- because you get to know your pt.s a little more. However in our ER, we cannot except homemade food of any kind. Its a sad state of affairs, but in the environment in which we work, management has made the decision not to take any chance that food may be tampered with. I wish you and yours the happiest of holiday's given the circumstances! Di

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
they already had a christmas dinner this past week. free to the hopital employees and the local EMT's. We had to pay $10 for it but it totally was worth it!! Prime rib and all the fixin's.
I asked if they were doing anything ON Christmas and they said the cafeteria normally does not.
I've seen the folks at the desk area snacking during the day/night and they rarely get a chance to sit and eat their food. So I take it they eat on the fly often.
They do not mind us even bringing food into the ICU room. Hell today I ate some M&M's and said to dad bet you wish you could have some of these!!

He is in a heavily induced coma following a ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm. Things are very touch and go. We take a step forward and take two back. :(

I appreciate all the feedback.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I'm so sorry. :( I know that's not a fun place to be on Christmas. We spent Christmay day in the NICU after Brandon was born because he had apnea & bradycardia, sepsis and went into renal failure that morning (he was a preemie). We did take the nurses snacks, and the nurses from all the shifts were really grateful to get snacks. There were only two babies in there (thank goodness!), but they were busy with those two (both Brandon and the other baby were pretty serious - both made it :) ). They appreciated the bites to eat between taking care of the babies.

I'll have your family in my thoughts.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
I wish you Christmas peace....

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your Dad, Kim.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I always feed emergency/hospital staff on Christmas eve and Christmas day ...

hang in there - I've been there before and it's possible I'll be there again this year :(

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
I'm sorry about your dad. I hope he starts taking two steps forward and none back.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Good thoughts and prayers for your dad. I hope he gets better soon.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts