Just Labradors banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...dogs eating stuff they shouldn't.

I've been kind of sick the last few days. Stayed home from work yesterday and today...feverish, dizzy, and coughing. Finally got in to see a doctor today, and I've got a nice upper respiratory infection. Plus my blood pressure is really high. So, now I'm on meds for both. Yay...

Anyway, when I went to bed last night, I saw something laying on the bedroom floor that didn't belong. My first thought was that Diesel had expressed his displeasure at not getting his daily run for a couple of days by getting into the laundry basket. Nope, turned out that while I was napping in the recliner under the afghan, he had pulled all the covers off the bed. I pull them back up where they belong, and find a bunch of holes chewed in the blanket. Now, I ask him, what's up with this? You haven't chewed anything up for a long time, bud. I couldn't find any pieces anywhere, so I figured he had swallowed them. Great, thinks I, now I have to worry about you getting an obstruction, on top of everything else. So, you guessed it...I've been on poop patrol today. First thing this morning I take him out, he does his duty, and I'm squatting there with a flashlight and a stick, ripping turds apart to see if there's any blue blanket in them.

Well, he's pooped twice today, so far. No signs of blue blanket in the land mines. He seems to be his normal self. He doesn't seem to be in any distress. He's eating and drinking ok, and he's his normal, rambunctious self...bouncing around the house and wanting to play or lay on my lap. So, I'm mystified...if he didn't eat them, where did they go? And if he did eat them, why haven't I seen any pieces? I guess I'll continue to keep an eye on him. **** dog...

·
Registered
16,476 Posts
It may take several days for it to pass. Good thoughts that the pieces come out.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Well....you made me laugh! I too have been sick with the respiratory bug, and needed a good laugh! I have heard it takes up to 3 days to poop it out, and if it stays in the stomach instead of going through, it can take awhile for him to throw it up. I would just keep watching him. Do you suppose he could have strung the pieces around outside or something?

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
It's been awhile since my Diesel has chewed or destuffed something (*knocks on wood*) but from what I recall the stuffing always took about 2-4 days to come out in the poop. Hope you find it in his poop just so you can put your mind at ease.... man, only dog lovers can appreciate a comment like that, eh?!

Hope you feel better too!

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
Good thoughts it passes.
Somethings have taken 3-7 days for Erns to puke up or poop out.

Erns is a regular blanket and other fabric chewer. Often first sign I have of something being chewed is something coloured in the poop. Then go on the hunt to see what has a hole in it. I keep saying "one day they will open him up and find a fabric warehouse inside him"

ETA Hope you feel better soon.

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Oh no! I feel your pain...I'm still on poop patrol here - the vet said 24 to 48 hours but I really think this will be a bit longer. Hope you feel better, playing in do do when you ae not sick is bad enough!

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
First thing this morning I take him out, he does his duty, and I'm squatting there with a flashlight and a stick, ripping turds apart to see if there's any blue blanket in them.

I know it's not funny, but I giggled when I read this. haha.

Good thoughts and prayers for your boy. Hopefully the pieces were small enough to work themselves out. And I hope you feel better soon, too!

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
I think we've all squatted in the dark picking poop apart. It's part of being a dog owner. I couldn't imagine doing that with cat poop, though. yuk. I sure hope your boy is okay and you find the blue pieces out in the yard somewhere.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
Good thoughts it passes.
Somethings have taken 3-7 days for Erns to puke up or poop out.

Erns is a regular blanket and other fabric chewer. Often first sign I have of something being chewed is something coloured in the poop. Then go on the hunt to see what has a hole in it. I keep saying "one day they will open him up and find a fabric warehouse inside him"

ETA Hope you feel better soon.
This made me laugh. Maybe Erns will poop you a sweater.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, as for me, I'm starting to feel a bit better. Tonight, anyway...went back to work today, felt fairly crappy all day. I guess this too shall pass. As for Dees, I hope it passes soon. Still no sign of the blue blanky. Not in his poop or in the house. It wouldn't be outside, since he was in with me all day, except for going out to the bathroom. And he's doing just fine. As I said, he's his normal bouncy self. We just came in from a good run and fetch session outside. I think he'll be all right, I'll just have to keep an eye on him...and his poo, as well.

Thanks for the well wishes, folks. And, I'm glad everyone enjoyed the little story.:biggrin1:

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
It is so much fun to be digging through poop, looking for swallowed items from our dogs! I sure hope the pieces were small enough that they pass quickly, good luck!
I hope you feel better soon as well!

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
When they swallow something it takes 48-72 hours to go from one side to the other. So he will poop normally for the next 48 hours. Check if he poops normally from 48 hours and beyond.

Maybe the acid in his stomach will destroy it and he will be just fine.

Hope he will be ok.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, first good sign! Had to work this morning. Got home and let the little man out of his kennel. Kong in mouth, he ran and peed on the tree, like he usually does. Before we came in, he ran over into the neighbor's yard and took a dump. I grabbed the shovel and scooped it up. Dumped it on the pile behind the garage (reminder to self: really need to clean up land mines this weekend.), and did the usual check. Lo and behold...one of the turds was made mostly of a chunk of the blue blanket! It looks like things are working their way through him. I'll continue to keep an eye on...things, but I think we're gonna be ok.

I swear...this dog's gonna drive me nuts.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
LOL! That's exactly what it looks like. Well, I think we dodged the bullet this time. He's pooped twice today, and both times there was blanket in it. Looks like everything is passing through ok. Many, many thanks for the well wishes, for me and my boy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts