Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever had one? I am thinking about paying to get one. Just shopping around for prices and other stuff now. I am not motivated to lose the weight. I need that extra push. I know if I spend the money for it. I will take it more serious.

Has anyone tried one? Where you happy with the results?

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
What exactly do personal trainers do? Inquiring minds want to know...(I am being serious. I really don't know what they do exactly)

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just from what I think they do. I maybe wrong. Looking into all that now. They give you one on one training to help with my specific needs. They point me in the right direction.

Last time I worked out I was clueless on which machines would do what for me. How to use them. So I just did Cardio. I want to tone up and need to know how to do it the correct way.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
I'm sure dipshitffic will cut ya a deal.

G

·
I have never had a personal trainer I hear they are pretty pricey. I go to Bally's and they offer a bunch of classes with the membership. I take a weightlifting class called powerflex. It has really toned me up and they offer it twice a week.

I am also clueless about the machines. Plus I feel intimidated with all the men standing around looking at me lift my 35 pounds.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I so want to try one of the classes. But it feels odd. Most that I have looked into have already started. I am out of shape and dont want to look like an ass.

Last time I worked out. No lie. I was doing this one machine. You spread your legs apart. I had my friend standing in front of me to cover whatever. And I still had three guys standing there starring. I thought that was rude and I stopped going.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
You spread your legs apart
The one where you work your inner thighs?

Yeah, nothing worse than feeling uncomfortable while trying to work out! ::)

I used to go to the YMCA where it wasn't as bad. Before that I used to work out on an Army base out here, and believe me, you sure do get THE looks! ::) I try to ignore it!

Good luck :)

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jimbo said:
My wife loves Curves...
Me and my boss went over there a while back. We were going to do it together. But its just didn't seem rigfht for me. Everyone in there was over 50. No offense. And the mood was alot slower and calmer. I need something up beat. Maybe I will look into another location.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I have a Curves right near me. I should check it out.

G

·
Mambo said:
I so want to try one of the classes. But it feels odd. Most that I have looked into have already started. I am out of shape and dont want to look like an ass.

Last time I worked out. No lie. I was doing this one machine. You spread your legs apart. I had my friend standing in front of me to cover whatever. And I still had three guys standing there starring. I thought that was rude and I stopped going.
Look at the schedule and ask the people at the gym if they are beginer or advanced. Most the classes that I have taken give you several options for each move (like add more weight if you are advanced). Also I go with a friend too! It makes me feel like I have to go and I have someone to laugh with when I know I look like a total moron.

Oh and I avoid the leg spreading machine. Ours faces the pool so everyone can see as they are swimming by. ::)

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I have a personal trainer that was recommended to me through a women at my fiance's work. Her results were amazing and I thought I would try it....wanted to lose 15 lbs before the wedding.

anyway..i've been seeing him for about 2.5 months.....

granted there are different "levels" of personal trainers....ones that jsut help you work out and others that make over your whole self.....such as nutrition....

So I have a meal plan.....and workouts he has for me. I do the workouts either on my own or with my fiance during the week... Weight training workouts for 45 min 4X a week. Cardio 45 min 3X a week.
Every saturday morning I see my trainer for weight in and fat analysis( yes the calapers (sp))

Results: It has been a total lifestyle change for me....No i wasn't eating very badly....but i diefinately didn't eat the right things, and wasn't as active as I should be.....Obviously my upcoming wedding was a big incentive for me to loose weight... ANYWAY

I've lost 16 lbs of fat....gained 4.5 lbs of lean muscle.....gone from 26.5 % (overweight) body fat to 17.8%(healthy)

and I feel great!!!!!!!!!! YEs the diet was a struggle in the beginning but now it's almost habit....I know what I can eat and it gets easier and easier.... it's more than something I will just do now... it's something that I can maintain the rest of my life and because it wasn't a "fad" diet I will be able to keep it off....

sorry this was so long winded.....

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I have a Curves right near me. I should check it out.
There are Curves all over the place near me and I checked it out, but it's not really for me either! A coworker of mine has been going for over 2 years, I wanna say, and it doesn't really look like she's lost much. :-\ Me thinks she needs to add more cardio. If I'm not mistaken, it seems that Curves is more circuit training and the machines use your body weight as resistance.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Also wanted to add....I used to go to the gym 2-3 nights a week...but did strictly cardio....didn't change my eating habits (which were not real bad) and did no weight training and never saw results.....

G

·
I have one at the YMCA. I pay 70 bucks for 3 months to have a trainer for an hour every day.

I have to disagree with James. The YMCA staff is awesome.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
kpowers3, can you give me an example of what you'll eat on a typical day now?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts