Just Labradors banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to treat the kitties with canned food once or twice a week. Well, I haven't been since I heard about that problem with the food! I wondered if I should start giving them canned food again? They don't care as much for the dry food now that the weather is warmer, they ate SO much more when it was colder. They seem a bit on the thin side to me, though they are still young and VERY active. Do you think they could gain some weight? I did just de-worm them a few months ago, and probably will again soon.

Also, have they removed contaminated food from the shelves? Should I not worry about canned food anymore?

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
I would probably try to avoid any products with wheat gluten, just in case.

·
Registered
305 Posts
They removed all the bad food from the shelves here. Last time I looked there were huge holes all over the canned food section. Until this crisis has passed maybe you could give the kitties regular canned meat, the people kind. I think you can buy it near the Spam. Maybe to make sure its nutritious you can mix it with dry?

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
It has just been the "chunks with gravy" types of canned/pouched food. You should be fine as long as you go to one of the larger stores to get it and it isn't the gravy stuff, and as long as you check the list of affected foods before buying it.

You can also give chicken/turkey baby food (without onion or garlic powder), like Beechnut baby food. :)

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Jules, it will be better for them in the long run if you can convert them over to dry food. With wet food, they tend to build up tartar on their teeth faster. Down the road, if you don't plan on having their teeth cleaned, this can lead to abcsessed teeth. Once that happens, they could end up with an infection in the bloodstream... which can kill them.

This may seem a little far fetched, but I experienced this with Kitty.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Shanna said:
Jules, it will be better for them in the long run if you can convert them over to dry food. With wet food, they tend to build up tartar on their teeth faster. Down the road, if you don't plan on having their teeth cleaned, this can lead to abcsessed teeth. Once that happens, they could end up with an infection in the bloodstream... which can kill them.

This may seem a little far fetched, but I experienced this with Kitty.
No, they are on dry food....I am giving them the canned as a treat a few times a week (HA feed them 2x's per day LOL). I also want them to gain weight...they are lazy when it is warm out and not eating as much.

edit to say - should I not be giving it to them as a treat at all?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts