Just Labradors banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...Mr. (Mrs?) Bear was at our house lastnight. The dogs were barking around 1 a.m. and then we heard the garbage tip over. Got up and looked out the window and sure enough, he was in the garbage!! He wasn't scared off by the dogs, or seeing us in the window gawking at him (5 feet away!). He was a pretty big guy, giant neck! I've never seen one that close up before. It was really cool, and really scary at the same time.

We watched him take something out of the can, walk about 10 feet and lie down and eat it - almost looked like a dog the way he did it! Evidence this morning pointed out that he scarfed down 1/2 loaf of french bread that I threw out, as well as a bunch of grapes. That's all the damage he did, then he trotted on to the next house. Woke up this morning and all the neighbors around us had their garbage all over their lawn.

This isn't unusual for our area. I've posted here before, there have been several "sightings" over the last few years. Before anyone says anything, we can't put the can away anywhere. We live in a little old hunting/fishing cabin with no garage. Everyone on our street is in the same boat, pretty much. The can is issued by our garbage pick-up and there's really nowhere to put a lock on it. We'll have to figure something out.....

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
This isn't unusual for our area. I've posted here before, there have been several "sightings" over the last few years. Before anyone says anything, we can't put the can away anywhere. We live in a little old hunting/fishing cabin with no garage.
I hope it is a safe haven in case the bear decides the garbage isn't enough, and wants to come in and check out the contents of the cabin! :eek:

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well Jackie, it's a regular old house...doors and windows with locks and all! :D LOL!!!! It was originally built in the 40's as an old hunting/fishing cabin.
This is it now :

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But that's not a garbage, Aim. Or are you thinking put the stinky garbage in there and lock it until garbage day?

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
But that's not a garbage, Aim. Or are you thinking put the stinky garbage in there and lock it until garbage day?
Yes, the latter. I am sure you could buy some sort of bear proof container similar to that one. In the summer months, it may get a bit stinky due to the heat.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
Amy, I love your cabin/house! I love living in the woods even with the bears. I believe there are bear proof garbage cans, you'd just have to find one. Or don't put the garbage in until trash day.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks! We love it, too. :)

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
Has anyone taken a flash photo of one? Do they run with fear or get pissed off & come at you? :confused:

The only species of bear we have here is the ones called Teddy. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
And kola's.:D

Best thing to do with them if you don't want to kill them is to fire a couple high power rifle rounds into the ground close enough to splatter dirt on the, works with cougars out here, that don't work then the next one should be in a vital place, bears like that are dangerous.

Most likely not an option your allowed.

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
And kola's.:D
Sorry mister but that's one of the biggest misconceptions about this country. They're not bears. :eek: I hate quoting wikipedia but this is the best explanation I can find:

Although the Koala is not a bear, when first adopted by English speakers, the name Koala bear became popular, as this roughly evoked the species' similarity in appearance to the Teddy bear, to people unfamiliar with it. Although taxonomically incorrect, the name Koala bear is still in use today outside Australia[5] — its use is discouraged because of the inaccuracy in the name.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koala

So now ya know. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,719 Posts

·
Registered
8,812 Posts
Has anyone taken a flash photo of one? Do they run with fear or get pissed off & come at you? :confused:

Here is a picture of one outside my kitchen window. I used a flash and it didn't faze him one bit.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Usually black bears in NJ are more afraid of you then you are of them. I love seeing them at the country home in NW New Jersey. Amy- I'm sure that bear will remember good eats at your house. Sounds crazy but the next time you see him start screaming and banging a few pots. i've done it & it works

1 - 17 of 17 Posts