Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Koda and tuck often lay on the ground and lick each other's face.. wtf does this mean? usually it follows a game of bitey face.. they'll be suddenly quiet.. doing this.. bizarre?

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought it might be bonding.. then 2 hours later he growls at her because she touched his paws on the couch *lol* /nobody/ touches tuck's paws... omg.. he's such a big baby =)

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
If she is the one doing most of the licking then it is more of a submissive gesture.

My Lab would do this little tongue flicking thing (just quick little "air" licks) when my shepherd was being a particular ***** to him. No eye contact and tongue flicking - very apologetic like.

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
Milly only licks her BFF Rosie. Usually it's followed by her trying to shove her whole head in her mouth in an attempt at bitey face with a small dog.... :D

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
My pugs both lick Cinder, and Millie cleans Ralphie's wrinkles every evening. It looks like she loves him so much when she does it. And he has such a guy look on his face, like he loves her enough to let her. Even though it kills him to get his wrinkles cleaned. :laugh:

So I always took it as affection.

I love that your guys are doing that. :D

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
My 3 do that all the time to eachother. I always thought it was just kisses. :happy:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Joey does the same to mickey (border collie) I think its his way of being affectionate to him because he can be very rough when they play, but mickey always comes back for more!!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Bogey is a big time kisser! I thought it was affection too. I remember reading somewhere (I forget where) that the one being groomed alot is the pack leader?

Reading what I wrote kinda sounds like a Ceaser Milan thing, so maybe I got it there, who knows?

·
Registered
490 Posts
It's an instinctual adaption derived from a puppy licking an adult's lips and face to elicit regurgitation. Wolves and dogs do this as a way to release tension especially after a rough play time and so yes it's a form of bonding and affection. It's also normal communication to growl so just because they are bonding and showing affection and then growling doesn't mean they do not have a close relationship. They are just conversing with one another. Dogs live in the moment so the one being growled at will not hold a grudge or be angry. That one will just respect what is going on and move on and when the time comes for some affection they will freely give it to one another.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
It's an instinctual adaption derived from a puppy licking an adult's lips and face to elicit regurgitation.
Errrr, yea, what she said. :gum:
LOL

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I haven't seen a clearly defined hierarchy between the two yet.. Koda is far more bold than tucker.. but i've always put tucker first.. first to eat, first to go outside, first for pets, rewards, etc.. but he's such a laid back guy he doesn't seem to mind too much that koda beats him to the door every time, pushes him out of the way to get into the bathroom in the morning, etc..

and when they play.. they both take turns of getting pinned to the ground, belly up and wiggly.. neither one seems to mind being submissive.. it seems to make for an easy transition..just don't touch tuck's paws =)

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
koda beats him to the door every time, pushes him out of the way to get into the bathroom in the morning, etc..
I think that's a female trait - Macy does the same thing. :crazy:

·
Registered
128 Posts
I agree with what's been said. Mine do this sometimes, seems like bonding/reassurance after playing hard. My two also take turns being the "top dog" when they're playing. I think Bo is still slightly more of the leader, but it's hard to tell. They just get along so well.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
I thought I read somewhere that the one doing the licking is being submissive. Willy always licks Libby's face. She never licks him. She is older and we tried to teach him that she's the top dog in the housse, she was there first. I didn't want a dominate male again.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts