Just Labradors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ellie tends to flip out when we try to put her collar and/or leash on. Sometimes I can sneak her collar on while she is eating in the morning, but if not, she goes nuts and tries to bite it and my hands while rolling around. She does this with her leash also. Any ideas on how to correct this? We start obedience class next week, but I'd love to know if anyone has any suggestions in the meantime :-\

Thanks!

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Abby used to freak out too. I would put her collar on her when she was sleeping, and she'd wake up from her nap with it on. She'd spazz out, but I'd leave it on her. She got used to it pretty quickly after that. A couple of times when I'd put it on after she'd come out of her crate, she'd make a fuss, but I'd just tell her settle, and she'd be okay.

As for the leash, same thing. Put in on her around and about the house, and just leave it on her so she gets used to it. Keep an eye though, you don't want her chewing on it at all. Let her have her freak out and go nuts, but leave the leash on. She'll get used to it. Distracting them with a toy works pretty good too.

dweck said:
Get her to SIT while you approach w/the collar, SETTLE while you put it on, and LEAVE IT once it's there. All trainable commands.
Ooooh, I like this advice too. I never thought of that with Abby, I wish I had.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! I try to make her sit, but then she ends up flipping over while trying to bite me. I'm sure just need to keep trying:) I'll also have to teach her to "settle" - that sounds like a good solution.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I was at home for the majority of Gabby's first six months with us. Gabby had a leash and collar on for her first three months on- just dragging it. Oh - a buckle collar and soft leash- never ever a choke or prong collar. I bitter appled the leash after the first spazz out incident and she left it alone after that.

After a while, she didn't even notice it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts