Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...SU and I have a long-standing argument about what a spatula is. Googling doesn't help because it seems to turn up both sides of the argument. So of course, I come to ask those wise ones from JL...what do you call a spatula?

To me, the thing that scrapes a bowl is a spatula...hubby calls it a scraper...this:

Hubby calls a spatula what I call a flipper or lifter...the thing that flips pancakes and such...this:

Which one is right? Or is this some sort of regional dialect...even though we come from the same place? LOL

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
I call the top a scraper, and the bottom a spatula. I'm not sure I'm right though lol

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
Its funny you say that...as i'm thinking about it i never realized that i call both a spatula. I never even thought about it. When i ask DH for the spatula he will usually go for the flipper one your DH is describing.

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spatula

okay.. i'm looking at both of them thinking.. wtf do i call the second one.. do i call them both spatulas? No.. the first is a spatula.. the second is a lifter.. wait.. is it? wtf do i call that thing?

·
Banned
1,889 Posts
Im still thinkin on this one .

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
I think of them both as a spatula, and I`ve called them both that. Somehow whomever I`m asking to pass it to me knows what I`m talking about.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
TangerineFizz said:
I think of them both as a spatula, and I`ve called them both that. Somehow whomever I`m asking to pass it to me knows what I`m talking about.
i thought i was going to be the only one who calls them both a spatula :) Glad to know i'm not alone.

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
I call them both spatula's and have never thought anything of it until now! LOL

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I'd have to agree with your SU. We call that the spatula.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
To me the top one is a spatula OR a scraper. The bottom one is a flipper or turner. I looked at a few cooking sites and could not find the bottom one being called a spatula anywhere.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I call them both spatula's i just call one a rubber spatula and the anouther a plastic spatula. Used to call them that in culinary too lol. OH! And we have a metal spatula lol. I never even heard the term flipper or scraper.

T

·
0 Posts
kelli said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spatula

okay.. i'm looking at both of them thinking.. wtf do i call the second one.. do i call them both spatulas? No.. the first is a spatula.. the second is a lifter.. wait.. is it? wtf do i call that thing?
:laugh: :laugh: I don't know what I call the second one either :suspious: I just call it...get me that thing I think.

T

·
0 Posts
kal3idoscope said:
First one I call a rubber spatula or a rubber scraper, second one is a spatula. :D

BTW spatula is a REALLY weird word if you keep saying it... :laugh:
:laugh:

1 - 20 of 77 Posts