Just Labradors banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
EndersMom....thanks for your short responses but like I said before I take her to the park and I throw the ball and she does retrieve without being on the leash but you can't take her to the park everyday or maybe I am just being realistic.

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
ZoeysDad said:
EndersMom....thanks for your short responses but like I said before I take her to the park and I throw the ball and she does retrieve without being on the leash but you can't take her to the park everyday or maybe I am just being realistic.
I take Ender to a park every day yes. (except for doggy day care days)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Ok EndersMom you are the exception...you don't have to respond to the topic any more. Hail Endersmom...Hail

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
ZoeysDad said:
Ok EndersMom you are the exception...you don't have to respond to the topic any more. Hail Endersmom...Hail
Run a poll in Lab Chat

"How many minutes per day do you exercise your lab per day on average? (not including walks)"

None-only walks
15 min
30 min
45 min
1 hr
more than one 1 hr

Try it... maybe you'll believe me then.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
ZoeysDad said:
I tried at first to tell her no and get her out of the room but that doesn't work.
Are you just saying NO? Because that's way too general for a dog of that age. They need specifics. NO... what? No panting? No sitting? No chewing? No wagging? NO becomes a negative to WHATEVER they happen to be doing at that moment.

Especially if you go to the extreme and spank. Please, no more smacks. She has no idea why she's being hit.

Better to be specific -- give a specific command that gets a specific reaction. First should be LEAVE IT. If she ignores, continuing to chew the bedspread, TAKE HER COLLAR and get her away from it. And praise -- GOOD LEAVE IT. GOOD GIRL! And then substitute something she CAN have -- a chewy, a toy, a tennis ball. And praise that as well.

If she's doing this behind your back, the BEST thing you can do is catch her at it. If you even think she's in there at the spread, tip-toe in and scare the bejabbers out of her with your voice: WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?!!?!? LEAVE IT! Shame on you! If you've done the groundwork, the LEAVE IT command should take hold.

Until it does, maybe the crate is an option for when you can't be there.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I agree no more spanks...I don't like it and I don't want my dog to get to the point that she doesnt want to be around me any more. I don't do it very often just when she repeatedly does the same thing over and over and over again and after you tell her No Leave it about 10million times in one day and she listens but then keeps going back in there to do it again it is frustrating.

Know about the poll and walking. This is not including the backyard or out in your front yard. We mentioned the park everyday. I will let you start it EndersMom but make sure that you put the park everyday. I just don't know that many people that have an enclosed park right around the corner from there home but if they do then great.

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
ZoeysDad said:
I agree no more spanks...I don't like it and I don't want my dog to get to the point that she doesnt want to be around me any more. I don't do it very often just when she repeatedly does the same thing over and over and over again and after you tell her No Leave it about 10million times in one day and she listens but then keeps going back in there to do it again it is frustrating.
Read Patricia McConnell's The Other End of the Leash. It's relatively short... it's paperback so it's cheap. You might realize that your assumption that she does know what she is doing is wrong may be incorrect.

Know about the poll and walking. This is not including the backyard or out in your front yard. We mentioned the park everyday. I will let you start it EndersMom but make sure that you put the park everyday. I just don't know that many people that have an enclosed park right around the corner from there home but if they do then great.
You are on... I'm going there right now. BTW... if you have a big enough yard (I don't) to do retrieves in... then I count 45 minutes there as good as a park.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
ZoeysDad said:
after you tell her No Leave it about 10million times in one day
I understand the frustration. 10 million LEAVE ITs in one day is going to burn her out. She may have burned out on the command anyway. She's got to know that when you SAY 'Leave it' you mean LEAVE IT. That's not accomplished by hitting, it's accomplished by praising the good behavior and correcting the bad -- the same way a dog learns anything.

If she has truly come to ignore LEAVE IT, thanks to overuse, find another word that expresses your desire clearly (ALONE. NO CHEW. NO LICK -- something) and start at step one.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Ender's Mom said:
I do believe that some people on here answer this question the way they want people to perceive them. They don't want to be that person who only walks,runs,plays with their labs for 10 min a day....and get scolded by others.....Go ahead check it out for yourself ...on that thread Mischasmom even asks "who said 1 hour"....

Point being...don't think you can really trust the polls....only those who really post a response....

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
kpowers3 said:
Ender's Mom said:
I do believe that some people on here answer this question the way they want people to perceive them. They don't want to be that person who only walks,runs,plays with their labs for 10 min a day....and get scolded by others.....Go ahead check it out for yourself ...on that thread Mischasmom even asks "who said 1 hour"....

Point being...don't think you can really trust the polls....only those who really post a response....
The polls are annonymous (yes my spelling is off today)... so you can vote and never reveal yourself. Zoey's Dad thinks I am the exception to the rule... I'm merely trying to prove that I am not.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I don't think you are the exception by any means......Ender might be the exception....not many Labs that young can run off a leader....Dakota can, but she's 2.....

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
what became a savior for me when Rider was younger was meeting people that had labs. Turns out I had two neighbors with labs and we'd set up play sessions for the dogs. ONe neighbor moved, but now I am good friends with my other neighbor and our dogs are only 1 month apart in age. They play daily now and it helps in terms of exercise.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
Sure...but people can make responses up too. Polls are fun because everyone can respond to them. :)

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
I'm hijacking...Lindsay- you mentioned the 30 foot line. I've never thought of this, but at the risk of sounding stupid, would letting Brigetta drag the line in the woods be ok? I've never let Brigetta go off leash in wooded areas b/c I'm afraid if she saw a deer or something she would take off. Or should the line just be used for retrieves?

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Brigettas Mom said:
I'm hijacking...Lindsay- you mentioned the 30 foot line. I've never thought of this, but at the risk of sounding stupid, would letting Brigetta drag the line in the woods be ok? I've never let Brigetta go off leash in wooded areas b/c I'm afraid if she saw a deer or something she would take off. Or should the line just be used for retrieves?
I wouldn't use it in woods... but I think it depends on the kind of wooded area you mean.

MY woods are not really like a forest... there is hills and lots of overturned trees and brush. If Ender was dragging a leash I'm quite certain it would catch on far to many things... and at the rate he flies down the hill, I wouldn't want to even think about him hitting the end of the slack. (YIKES!)

BUT... if it's the kind of woods where the trees are large and spaced far apart... there isn't many bushes on the ground... it is probably a much different scenario.

My comment on the 30 inch was based more on a public park situation where there is lots of grass and open areas with only maybe a few trees here and there... good for retrieving... not so good for playing/exploring.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
ok after reading the posts then I can say easily that I play with my puppy 45min or more. The reason for this is because we play in the house a lot. Tug a war, fetch, find it, obedience, and wrestle. Besides all this I still take her on a 1 1/2 walk everyday (broken up). The point I was getting across in the other thread was that sometimes no matter how much exercise you give your puppy they are still going to misbehave. A lot of people always accuse the other person of not exercising enough but sometimes that is not the case. My puppy is exhausted at 9 at night and does not want to move but she still tries to destroy things around the house. I think it is more or an attention getter when I am trying to relax after giving her most of the day. I will post this also in the other thread.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
ok ok I don't know if people here will like my solution to a some what similar issue I had with Buck when he was 12 weeks old.

He used ot like to drag a 15feet by 12 feet area rug out of our familyroom. This had nothing to do with whether he had enough exercise or not. He simply enjoyed "rearranging" our familyroom. I tried "drop it" he'd drop it but he'd eventually go back and do it again. So, finally I got frustrated and resorted to spraying him with water when he did it.

I filled up a spray bottle with just water and put it on mist. Basically I waited to catch him red pawed :p. As soon as he'd pick up that rug I'd calmly go over say "NO RUG" and spray him in the face. He hated it. After a couple times of this he has never tried to "redecorate" again.

Oh don't just wave the spray bottle in her face. Threatening her with it will just make it lose it's effectiveness. Either use it or don't.

I have heard some Labs enjoy the spray so if that's the case with your zoey then we'll have to think of something else.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
ZoeysDad said:
ok after reading the posts then I can say easily that I play with my puppy 45min or more. The reason for this is because we play in the house a lot. Tug a war, fetch, find it, obedience, and wrestle. Besides all this I still take her on a 1 1/2 walk everyday (broken up). The point I was getting across in the other thread was that sometimes no matter how much exercise you give your puppy they are still going to misbehave. A lot of people always accuse the other person of not exercising enough but sometimes that is not the case. My puppy is exhausted at 9 at night and does not want to move but she still tries to destroy things around the house. I think it is more or an attention getter when I am trying to relax after giving her most of the day. I will post this also in the other thread.

I agree with the attention getter thing. When Buck was younger he'd come home EXHAUSTED and still cause some trouble around the house if he wanted attention. But this kind of behaviour goes away with training and age I think. Atleast that is what I have noticed with Buck. Hang tight, be patient and train train train train and your pup will eventually stop being "bratty" ( don't take offence to the term...couldn't think of another word)
I'd say you aren't the only one going through this...a lot of us have been there.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts