Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Write the owner of the board. He's the only one who can do something about it. So far....nothing. :(

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
I'm fed up with it too. :mad: Especially when the bastards post their junk in rainbow bridge. That to me, is akin to vandalising a cemetery.

I report most of the ones I see but I wonder why I bother? Nothing gets done about it for days or weeks. I know Dan works about 80-100 hours/week but surely he can do SOMETHING about it. Captcha isn't stopping them.:mad:

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
I was posting Daniel daily about these, giving him their individual URLs and, usually, for a few weeks or a month or so, he'd delete every one of them within 24 hours.

But, when they got so numerous that I'd have to copy and compile 12-20 separate URLs, I just posted to him the spam poster's username with a request to "ban and delete".

This has never met with a postive repsonse from Daniel.

I recently emailed him that I'd be absent (trip to Vermont) for up to 10-14 days and wouldn't be able to notify him of such spam posts during that time.

Since I've been back, the spams have accumulated. I've heard no response from Daniel and am giving up any further notifying him.

·
Registered
12,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I was posting Daniel daily about these, giving him their individual URLs and, usually, for a few weeks or a month or so, he'd delete every one of them within 24 hours.

But, when they got so numerous that I'd have to copy and compile 12-20 separate URLs, I just posted to him the spam poster's username with a request to "ban and delete".

This has never met with a postive repsonse from Daniel.

I recently emailed him that I'd be absent (trip to Vermont) for up to 10-14 days and wouldn't be able to notify him of such spam posts during that time.

Since I've been back, the spams have accumulated. I've heard no response from Daniel and am giving up any further notifying him.

Well there is a good solution to this problem I think and please tell me if I am wrong. Why not give a couple of people, such as yourself or Garth, administrative power on the site. In other words moderators. These people could monitor the site and ban the spammers when they post/ lock threads / block IP addresses etc.

·
Registered
12,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
Well there is a good solution to this problem I think and please tell me if I am wrong. Why not give a couple of people, such as yourself or Garth, administrative power on the site. In other words moderators. These people could monitor the site and ban the spammers when they post/ lock threads / block IP addresses etc.
Gee, thanks but no thanks. :D We seem to have this discussion every time we have a spam plague or when new members come along that think it's strange this board doesn't have moderators. Most of us like it that way because we have far greater freedom of speech than most boards that are moderated. The down side of that we have no one to delete the spam but to some of us, it's just a minor inconvenience at best & a PITA at worst.

The problem could be overcome with more effective ban filters. Banning IP addresses is only a temporary measure because most IP's are dynamic meaning they change all the time. You could start by banning the suspect domain names these punks register with - the most common ones being .ru (Russia) & a lot of the Asian ones. China, Korea & Thailand are notorious for spammers as well. There's other software out there that can be added to the site to weed them out but I'm not that familiar with it to comment. I'm sure some others have better ideas. It's just a matter of getting Dan to implement them. Good luck in achieving that one. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
12,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gee, thanks but no thanks. :D We seem to have this discussion every time we have a spam plague or when new members come along that think it's strange this board doesn't have moderators. Most of us like it that way because we have far greater freedom of speech than most boards that are moderated. The down side of that we have no one to delete the spam but to some of us, it's just a minor inconvenience at best & a PITA at worst.

The problem could be overcome with more effective ban filters. Banning IP addresses is only a temporary measure because most IP's are dynamic meaning they change all the time. You could start by banning the suspect domain names these punks register with - the most common ones being .ru (Russia) & a lot of the Asian ones. China, Korea & Thailand are notorious for spammers as well. There's other software out there that can be added to the site to weed them out but I'm not that familiar with it to comment. I'm sure some others have better ideas. It's just a matter of getting Dan to implement them. Good luck in achieving that one. :rolleyes:
Makes sense. I like the idea of freedom! Did not mean to drag out the moderator thing, my thread was really about the amount of crappy spam! :)

Thanks for taking the time to let "Mr Dogg" know with a helpful post. ;)

- Veronica

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Why can't we have "spam patrol" instead of "moderator". Any one given the moderator rights wouldn't really have to "moderate" just do spam control and we still have our freedom.

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
Why can't we have "spam patrol" instead of "moderator". Any one given the moderator rights wouldn't really have to "moderate" just do spam control and we still have our freedom.
Because you can bet your life, it wouldn't just end there. Especially when we start "discussing" religion, politics or any other contentious issue. :rolleyes: That old saying comes to mind:

Give him/her an inch & they'll take a mile. :rolleyes:

And you can stop nominating me. I've got too many enemies. :D

·
Registered
349 Posts
As far as what I wrote, it doesn't need to be me, just SOMEBODY... You don't have to be an IT tech to moderate a forum, just have some common sense. The job takes about five minutes to learn how to operate the basics of a forum. I just figured that since I had done it before, I'd volunteer.

But it does need to be done. This is a relatively quiet forum as far as personal conflicts go (though I see they do exist), and seems to run on autopilot very well. But the spamming is way out of control and should be addressed.

Kevin

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
As far as what I wrote, it doesn't need to be me, just SOMEBODY... You don't have to be an IT tech to moderate a forum, just have some common sense. The job takes about five minutes to learn how to operate the basics of a forum. I just figured that since I had done it before, I'd volunteer.

But it does need to be done. This is a relatively quiet forum as far as personal conflicts go (though I see they do exist), and seems to run on autopilot very well. But the spamming is way out of control and should be addressed.

Kevin
Did you read Garths post? We have had this discussion time and time again. We for the most part do not want moderators of any kind. IMO " it doesn't need to be done". I am a relatively short timer on JL, only been here for 3 1/2 yrs. some have been here much longer. Its done pretty well with no moderator and I hope it stays that way! If folks like lab boards with moderators you have other choices;)

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to let "Mr Dogg" know with a helpful post. ;)

- Veronica
Yeah Colin! :p

If folks like lab boards with moderators you have other choices
And a lot of us can give you the link to another board that is moderated to the point of being a police state or a dictatorship. Disagree with the admin or his gestapo AKA moderators, & you're out the door faster than you could say spam.

How do I know? I'm one of the bannees. :D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts