Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Administrator
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed several SPAM filters and AKISMET filter for the forum but as you can tell they are not working very well. I think many of the SPAMmers are manually registering. Given there is not yet a viable solution for vBulletin to prevent all SPAM do the members of the forum want to add a moderator or two to delete SPAM posts?

Daniel

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Yes, BUT IT MUST BE MADE VERY CLEAR THAT IT IS ONLY TO ELIMINATE spam posts.

One of the GREAT beauties and virtues of this JL forum is the absence of moderators and the reliance on the group to do self-moderating -- to take care in-house of any deviancy.

We tolerate people with a wide variety of opinions, biases, and prejudices and it should be made very plain to ANY such moderator that the job is ONLY to delete SPAM POSTS -- all other posts are out of bounds to the moderator. AND that ANY overstepping of those limits will result in instant complaints and quick dismissal from that position.

I'm fairly confident that the above sentiment reflects that of 95% of the longtime JL members.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Yes, BUT IT MUST BE MADE VERY CLEAR THAT IT IS ONLY TO ELIMINATE spam posts.

One of the GREAT beauties and virtues of this JL forum is the absence of moderators and the reliance on the group to do self-moderating -- to take care in-house of any deviancy.

We tolerate people with a wide variety of opinions, biases, and prejudices and it should be made very plain to ANY such moderator that the job is ONLY to delete SPAM POSTS -- all other posts are out of bounds to the moderator. AND that ANY overstepping of those limits will result in instant complaints and quick dismissal from that position.

I'm fairly confident that the above sentiment reflects that of 95% of the longtime JL members.

Agree 100%

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
I agree with Bob. What about CAPTCHA, Daniel? That stopped the crawlers on my forum.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Yes. I nominate Bob! :)

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
What Bob said, and would think that looking at Laura's suggestion would be beneficial also.

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
do the members of the forum want to add a moderator or two to delete SPAM posts?
NO. For the simple reason you can't give a cast iron guarantee that any mods will ONLY delete spam & not get tempted to edit/delete posts they don't agree with or are personally offended by.

What's needed are more effective ban filters. I know you're doing your best Dan but surely there's something that will stop them? As I've suggested to you in spam reports, why not start by banning all IP's & domain name registrations from countries like Russia, Ukraine & the latest, Pakistan. The latest example is the fool that's spamming us right now as I post this. The "Member" 404160859 is posting BS links to a blog that's registered in Pakistan. Look up the properties in his links & it gives you this addy: http://www.beklo.com/portal.php When you look up who owns that domain, it comes up with this:

Domain name: beklo.com
Registrant Contact:
Ahmed Abdul Malik ()

Fax: 54000 Islamabad, 54000 PK

Administrative Contact:
Ahmed Abdul Malik ([email protected])

+1.1568473595
Fax: 54000 Islamabad
54000 PK

Technical Contact:
+1.1568473595
Fax: 54000
Islamabad, 54000
PK

So, in theory, if you add fools like this to the ban list, it SHOULD stop most of them. Surely it's worth a try?

I nominate Greg1 and Garth to share duties ! :D
I
don't
think
greg1
would
that
idea
:D

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
Well dang it Garth, that makes sense.

·
Registered
12,573 Posts
NO. For the simple reason you can't give a cast iron guarantee that any mods will ONLY delete spam & not get tempted to edit/delete posts they don't agree with or are personally offended by.

What's needed are more effective ban filters. I know you're doing your best Dan but surely there's something that will stop them? As I've suggested to you in spam reports, why not start by banning all IP's & domain name registrations from countries like Russia, Ukraine & the latest, Pakistan. The latest example is the fool that's spamming us right now as I post this. The "Member" 404160859 is posting BS links to a blog that's registered in Pakistan. Look up the properties in his links & it gives you this addy: http://www.beklo.com/portal.php When you look up who owns that domain, it comes up with this:

Domain name: beklo.com
Registrant Contact:
Ahmed Abdul Malik ()

Fax: 54000 Islamabad, 54000 PK

Administrative Contact:

+1.1568473595
Fax: 54000 Islamabad
54000 PK

Technical Contact:
+1.1568473595
Fax: 54000
Islamabad, 54000
PK

So, in theory, if you add fools like this to the ban list, it SHOULD stop most of them. Surely it's worth a try?

That idiot 404160859 is posting spam all over this board. :mad:

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
I think CAPTCHA should be implemented. Much more effective than trying to have a moderator manually delete posts.

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
I think CAPTCHA should be implemented. Much more effective than trying to have a moderator manually delete posts.
AND add it to every post so before you hit "submit reply", you have to enter the code so the system knows you're a human & not a bot. I know it would be a PITA but it would add another weapon to the arsenal. Trouble is, it wont stop the fools who are real people. That can only be done at the time of registration as I've already said.

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
This is another classic example from the latest "member" uvwx519

http://forum.justlabradors.com/showpost.php?p=92540&postcount=9

Just a stupid 1 word answer, but hidden in there is another link. It goes to this site:

http://www.cnshoes007.com/

This 1 is registered in China so there's another domain/IP you can add to the ban list.

Domain Name ..................... cnshoes007.com
Name Server ..................... dns27.hichina.com
dns28.hichina.com
Registrant ID ................... hc551415972-cn
Registrant Name ................. li wang
Registrant Organization ......... wang feixiong
Registrant Address .............. putian
Registrant City ................. putian
Registrant Province/State ....... fujian
Registrant Postal Code .......... 351100
Registrant Country Code ......... CN
Registrant Phone Number ......... +86.5942290236 -