Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw a show yesterday about the Bermese pythons going wild in the everglades and the 3 foot long rats now exploding in Key West and the 7 foot long monitor lizards showing up in people's back yards in Ft. Meyers. Yikes. All are devouring the native species and pets.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Sounds like the pythons and monitor lizards need to go to Key West!

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
Ewww! I believe this is happening because people are dumping their "pets" when they get too big. This is why iguana are prevelant also.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
I read the other day that they've got a kill all you want hunting season on pythons. I'm not the type who's going to wander around the Everglades looking for pythons to shoot, but I bet plenty of people will. Sounds scary as hell to me.

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
I read the other day that they've got a kill all you want hunting season on pythons. I'm not the type who's going to wander around the Everglades looking for pythons to shoot, but I bet plenty of people will. Sounds scary as hell to me.
I would run screaming the other way if I saw one. Seems the making for a bad B movie.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Denny and I watched that show, too! It is scary. There's been an issue with people dumping large fish like plecos, Oscars, Red Devils, etc. into native waters and invading the area. You can go fishing now for species that are native to Central and South America. A big python could make a nice belt, pair of shoes, heck probably a purse too, lol.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I saw that too they said it started with a pet someone let loose now there are thousands of them. Yuck I think I'll stay away from the everglades.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
I bet money there are loads of good ol' boys out there in airboats having a field day, huntin' them critters!

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
I once watched a show about one of the airports down in Florida, maybe Miami? Anyway, there are tonnes of exotic animals living around the airport. Ones that have escaped while being transported. Like monkeys, exotic birds.. etc. It was crazy.

also- I watched something on animal planet on the weekend that said wild pigs are starting to pop up in a lot of places and Florida has 500,000 of them! Crazy. Crazy.

I wonder if the big ass pythons will eat the wild pigs?

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Oh yeah, the show talked about feral hogs, too. Those suckers are MEAN. I think it would be a brave python to go after a feral pig...maybe a little one that just got unlucky and separated from mom, but I bet a full grown hog could easily take a python.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
One more reason to steer clear of Florida! Killer pigs, giant snakes, hurricanes, snowbirds - substantial list.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Oh yeah, the show talked about feral hogs, too. Those suckers are MEAN. I think it would be a brave python to go after a feral pig...maybe a little one that just got unlucky and separated from mom, but I bet a full grown hog could easily take a python.
I just caught the part on the wild hogs.

Well, the pythons can eat the baby wild hogs and the wild hogs can eat the pythons and they'll kill each other off.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
but I bet a full grown hog could easily take a python.
One hog, one python, the python wins I think, but the hogs travel in a herd so the python would be lunch.
We have a wild hog problem big time in Texas and even here in Houston. In one of my parks they tore up a soccer field and it looked like a bulldozer hit it. Then the herd wondered over to an adjacent field and pooped. Can't shoot them in the city so we have trappers trying to get them but they are so smart they learn quickly to avoid the traps.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
We went to the everglades in 1989 and the biggest threat were the **** mosquitoes.....The alligators could be avoided..........

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
I love that picture, it's the perfect picture for the maxim about winning the battle and losing the war.

We have a wild hog problem big time in Texas and even here in Houston. In one of my parks they tore up a soccer field and it looked like a bulldozer hit it. Then the herd wondered over to an adjacent field and pooped. Can't shoot them in the city so we have trappers trying to get them but they are so smart they learn quickly to avoid the traps.
One of my friend's uncle had a ranch in Kerrville, and about 8 years ago we started going down there every year for a week or two during the summer. He said he'd pay for our food if we hunted the hogs. And you're right, they are very smart. If I heard it correctly on the news, they said they've expanded it to year around hunting with no bag limit due to the damage they're causing, they're not native, and their growth is explosive.

And they can get pretty big and nasty. They say the average size is around 150 lbs, but with enough food, can grow to 500+ lbs.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts