Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I'm stuck here today waiting for more furniture to be delivered, I thought I would share pictures of Jake's "other" home sweet home: Roosevelt Island!

Our bedroom (that's your tour guide on the bed)

"Seriously, this is so boring."

The best thing about this place is the view! From the bedroom...

The kitchen/living room (excuse the awful glare from the windows)

View from kitchen window (the trees are a giant park where Jake hangs out at the dog park)

Looking up Manhattan from living room:

Looking down Manhattan:

Favorite time-waster when I can't leave? Watching the ships and tug boats go by :)

While technically a Manhattan zip code, Roosevelt Island is inbetween Long Island City (Queens) and the real Manhattan. Once called "welfare island" by the rest of Manhattan, Roosevelt Island now has two brand new apartment complexes on it, the Octagon (formerly a psychiatric hospital we're told) and Riverwalk which is right by the subway and tram - although I'm pretty sure Manhattanites still snub the Rosey folks!

We live at the Octagon, which is at the far north end of the island, about parallel with the Upper East Side.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Jealous :-\ I always say if I didn't get married when I did, I would have been living in The City. I love-hubby hates it-so we're here in NJ. Enjoy the new digs!

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Oh man, that's very cool!

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
holy ****.. gorgeous!

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
Nice apartment. Love the views!

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
That is really cool. While looking at the pics.. a question came to mind. I wonder what it smells like there. Does it have a watery smell... or industrial smell.... or a clean smell.... or ....

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everyone, the apartment is very affordable because it's not on the real Manhattan :) It takes up about 20 minutes (bus to tram or bus to subway) to get across the river - but on days like this it's worth it to me!

Shanna during the summer when it's really humid it smells kind of like the ocean, the water is brackish in the river (the direction the river flows changes with the ocean tides), otherwise it smells just ... normal I guess. I had a hard time living in Manhattan during the summer a few years ago, the smell made me ill, but here there's such a strong breeze (it's never not windy) it stays fresher.

It's very quiet as well, we can hear a faint hum of the FDR (the highway in the pictures that runs along the east side of Manhattan), and muffled sirens sometimes, but usually all we hear are birds and little kids playing outside on the playground.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
You have an AWESOME APARTMENT!! SO jealous!!! :p

Did you guys live in a house before? I am just curious because I will have ot move to an apartment soon with Buck. Wondering how Jake and you are doing with the change...if there was a change... :p

Congratulations btw!!! ;D

1 - 20 of 36 Posts