Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the Midland County shelter let Sophie go a day early! She was transported to my vet clinic yesterday, and she arrived there around 4:45PM.

She's TINY. And skinny. She weighs 64lbs PREGNANT. And guess how many she's carrying? 8 possibly 9. They x-rayed her and they counted 8 skulls for sure, but there may be a 9th in there. POOR GIRL. When she sits, she looks like Jabba the Hut...just all BELLY. She's very sweet. Hideous bark though...high screechy pitched thing. She definately has milk, but hasn't dropped in the back yet. She's younger than two but older than a year, this was probably her second cycle. Very playful still.

They are doing a blood draw to see if she's HW+ today...cross your fingers that she's not. The pups all look decent sized, so anything lab, golden, husky, shepherd, and up could be the daddy. It'd be nice if they were labs, but we are never that lucky on strays. They thought she would be going to whelp by the weekend, but her temp is only 100.4 today and she's not eating and kind of getting restless, so it could be sooner. But I will post pictures as they arrive. My vet will be calling me when she starts, and I will help with the whelping.

Here's two quick pictures I snapped last night when she came in to my clinic:

and a top view of her preggers belly:

Always an adventure in rescue!

I went over to see her at lunch today, and she's doing well. She has Kennel Cough though (poor thing). So she has to stay in isolation as to not affect the other dogs. I brought her a couple of bones and loved on her for a bit. She's a doll face. Here are more pictures of her:

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Re: Sophie's safe!!!

It must be so heartbreaking but rewarding as well Im glad she is in the right hands now and at least getting fed properly

·
Registered
156 Posts

Thank goodness she is at the clinic now...my goodness I cannot believe how "little" she weighs :(

Hugs to you

·
Registered
4,075 Posts

Happy looking girl. Good thoughts for her.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts

I'm so glad you guys got her, Dani! Prayers for an easy whelping of healthy pups, and that she is HW negative. She's going to need lots of extra food to build her up while she's nursing that litter!

·
Registered
44,122 Posts

I'm so glad she's safe and sound!! Prayers for an uneventful welping, and that she and the pups find forever homes soon. :pray:

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Glad she is safe. She looks scared in that last picture...poor thing. She is a cutie tho'! Good luck on the whelping and can't wait to see puppy pictures! Thanks for all that you do Dani!!!

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Glad she is safe and I hope all goes well for her.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts