Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we just went for our walk. It is gorgeous outside (about 65F) so we went for a long walk. He's realllly bad on leash since he basically never was walked in his 3 years of existence. He's gotten much better since I've had him and he is decent on his prong collar.

Today we were almost done with our walk and I had Toby on my right side (stronger arm) and Abbey on my left. From my right side, two people and their dogs were coming right at us and Toby was trying to go after one of the dogs because it was growling and barking at him. I gave him the "leave it" command, which he's still learning, that didn't work and he pulled me to the ground.

I'm about double his size but he is a big boy and he has gotten away with murder and hasn't had ANY real training, ever. He gets in the zone and doesn't hear a word. Skinned both my knees pretty bad and both of my wrists. I am definitely NOT a happy camper!

Here's some pictures! Sorry they are blurry but my Nikon is out of commission so I'm using my old one.

·
Registered
5,915 Posts
ouch!
i bet if you walked toby by himself, he would be better behaved and easier to handle. i've gotten to where i take only one dog with me on walks. the walks are way more pleasant.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Gentle Leader. Gives you much better control, especially when they're learning to walk properly on leash.

If you've got time, a warm bath makes all the little road bits come off a lot easier.

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gentle Leader. Gives you much better control, especially when they're learning to walk properly on leash.

If you've got time, a warm bath makes all the little road bits come off a lot easier.
I soaked my knees for a bit and think I got all of it out. Ouch that hurt!

Yeah, I'm definitely going to look into the head collars... He's driving me nuts!

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
OWWWW, that really looks painful!!!

Tobster... not nice pulling Justine down like that! You gotta listen better there pal!

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Uhoh Toby you better be extra nice to mum for a while.

Sorry Justine. That looks pretty sore. I hope you heal quickly and I'm glad no bones are broken!

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Yikes!! How about soaking in a tub it might help get the rocks out. Hope you aren't to sore tomorrow!

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Oh Justine, I am so sorry! I know how painful that is. Keep all the cuts moist so they heal from the inside out, and don't scab over too soon.

I second the Halti or Gentle Leader idea, too.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts