Just Labradors banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Monday i should be picking up my new lab puppy, he is 10 weeks old and is currently on shots. My questions are i dont have many places to buy dog food from except walmart, petsmart and petco, What brand dog food would be recommended for try and what would be recommended to stay away from? Also what size crate should i start with that i can also use when he gets older?

Thanks Chris

·
Registered
609 Posts
What brand of dog food is he on now? I would stick with that and gradually wean him onto something else. I find Purina proplan is a good food. I like it and the dogs are doing well on them. I have also used Canadae and Eagle. Both are great foods. Everyone has their own preference but I would check what he is on first. The first few days can offset a puppy's system to begin with and switiching his food right away is just asking for trouble.

Also, I used a large sized crate with a partition to make it smaller. That way as they grew, I didn't have to go and buy another crate, all I had to do was slide out the partition to make the crate larger.

Congratulations on your puppy btw. ;D

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Congratulations on your new puppy. I would think the puppy's breeder will make recommendations on what they want you to feed he/her.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Congrats and welcome! You'll find lots of great help here. The one big requirement is to post lots of pictures!

I echo what canadalablover said. Definitely get a crate and crate train him. If you check out the puppy training section, you'll find lots of great advice.

Check with the breeder and see what they are feeding him. I woudl stick with that. My breeder uses IAMS LB puppy food and I get it at PetCo. They also have it at PesSmart and I would imagine Wal Mart as well.

Hopefully this will at least get you started!

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Welcome Chris and new puppy. I just wanted to point out that in Training Tips and Puppy Advice there is a sticky post called Our Best Advice which you might find interesting.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He is currently on Sportsman's Pride Puppy but i ask the breeder to give me a week or more supply so i can get him on another brand (the breeder said the food is very hard to find). I have been reading lots of post and i have owned dogs before (not labs) and i think i am good at training. I will post lotsssssss of pictures.
What size crate would be ideal? 42"?

Thanks Chris

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Congratulations on your new pup! Given the food recalls I recommend ProPlan if you need to make a change.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Mine are the 42" size. It works well for my guys.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Welcome! Food is one of our most favorite topics. You've come to the right place for guidance!

I have never heard of Sportsman's Pride, so I googled. I found their Web site, but they don't list the ingredients in the food anywhere. That doesn't seem like a good sign. :(

Something else to consider: It is made by Sunshine Mills. Sunshine Mills just joined the list of manufacturers who are recalling products. I just got an email not five minutes ago. I think it was biscuits/treats they were recalling. Still, thought you should be aware of this.

The quick two-minute food lesson goes something like:

"Chicken MEAL" is better than just "chicken."

Stay away from anything that says "by-products"

Likewise, stay away from anything that says "MEAT" meal. You want an identifiable protein source. Not mystery "meat."

The first five ingredients are what there is the most of in the food. If the first five ingredients are grains, or mostly grains, not good. You should see a meat source FIRST on the list.

Corn is an inexpensive filler with zero nutritional value.

There is a breeder here named Labby who goes into a lot of this and much more in great detail on her Web site, if someone could post that link! (I don't have it handy, but have read and referred to it often).

·
Registered
137 Posts
Here's the ingredient information I found for Sportsman's Pride Adult Premium food (I couldn't find the info for the Puppy food, but do note that they do NOT make a large breed puppy formula):

CHICKEN BY-PRODUCT MEAL, RICE, CORN MEAL, CHICKEN FAT (PRESERVED WITH MIXED TOCOPHEROLS), DRIED BEET PULP (SUGAR REMOVED), CORN GLUTEN MEAL, NATURAL FLAVORS, FLAXSEED, DRIED EGG PRODUCT, BREWERS YEAST, SALT, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, LECITHIN, CANOLA OIL, ROSEMARY EXTRACT, VITAMINS: CHOLINE CHLORIDE, NATURAL-SOURCE VITAMIN E SUPPLEMENT, VITAMIN A SUPPLEMENT, VITAMIN D3 SUPPLEMENT, NIACIN, CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, THIAMIN MONONITRATE (SOURCE OF VITAMIN B1), PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE (SOURCE OF VITAMIN B6), RIBOFLAVIN SUPPLEMENT, FOLIC ACID, BIOTIN, VITAMIN B12 SUPPLEMENT, MINERALS: KELP POLYSACCHARIDE COMPLEXES OF ZINC, IRON, MANGANESE AND COPPER, ZINC SULFATE, COPPER SULFATE, MANGANESE SULFATE, CALCIUM IODATE, COBALT CARBONATE, SODIUM SELENITE.

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS

CRUDE PROTEIN (min) • 26.00%
CRUDE FAT (min) • 18.00%
CRUDE FIBER (max) • 3.00%
MOISTURE (max) • 12.00%
LINOLEIC ACID (min) • 3.50%
ASH (max) • 6.00%
CALCIUM (min) • 1.00%
PHOSPHORUS (min) • 0.80%
SODIUM (min) • 0.30%
ZINC (min) • 200 MG/KG
VITAMIN A (min) • 12,000 IU/KG
VITAMIN E (min) • 125 IU/KG
OMEGA-6 FATTY ACIDS (min) • 3.00%*
OMEGA-3 FATTY ACIDS (min) • 0.55%*

*Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles.

Overall, I'd say it's just as well to switch your new puppy off the food, as "by-product meal" is the first ingredient, followed by grains. The ProPlan suggested by others is a good choice. I would also recommend looking at Royal Canin Large Breed Puppy, which I know my local Petsmart carries. AngusFangus's two-minute food lesson is right on - read the labels, do a bit of research regarding foods, pick a good quality large breed puppy food, and stick with it.

Congratulations on your new puppy!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think i am going to try Maxi Puppy Formula by Royal Canin first and make sure he does good on it and enjoy's it. Thanks everyone for being a great help.

Chris

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Congrats on the new puppy. Be sure to post lots of pics. I personally live to see these cute puppy pics on the forum! ;D

You've gotten some good info on food. We feed Sally Nutro LB puppy food. She does great on it. Very healthy, loves it, good coat, little shedding. But one thing I've found with both Sally and our previous lab is that one food can be great for one dog.....no problems, very healthy....but it might not agree so well with another dog. So I've come to the conclusion that if your dog is doing well on it and it meets the basic rules like posted above (Angus I think), then go with it.

I didn't real all of the posts....just skimmed them.....but I don't think anyone addressed your concerns about the crate. Definitely get a large crate....one big enough for your full-grown lab. Then use the partition to make it small enough for a puppy. Then you can move the partiton back as she grows. That's a lot better than buying a small puppy-sized crate now and buying a new larger one later.

Also, I'd strongly recommend a good, sturdy wire crate. There are tons of pics of them here in people's posts. This is one thing it's worth spending extra money on. Don't skimp on the crate, especially if you are going to have to crate the dog for any length of time.

Have fun with your new puppy! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
453 Posts
Congratulations on your new puppy hope you have year and years of fun, life will never quite be the same again, all good though. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts