Just Labradors banner

Sometimes you just don't know what will happen...

1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  2yellowlabs 
#1 ·
Saturday was the 1st time my husband showed our yellow lab Shamrock for a UDX leg. He Q'd in Utility B - was 2nd dog in and I thought - we're home free - he can do Open well and likes all the exercises. He's in the ring, working well and next up - Retrieve Over the High Jump. So - Terry throws the dumbell and it lands just at the back gate of the ring. I thought the judge would immediately have him re-throw. Oh no - send your dog and as soon as Shamrock landed, I could tell he was really confused. Didn't see the dumbell and came back over the jump and then I think he went out again to find it. Of course NQ. Then some other person did the same thing at least from where I stood and judge allowed her to re-throw. Supposed difference was that her throw actually placed the dumbell under a gate. To me difference was almost imperceptible. So as I told Terry, everyone gets some good and some bad luck thrown their way and this was our turn for bad. Q in Utility B but no UDX leg. Back we go on Sunday. Q's in Utility B - yeah - two Utility Q's in a row. Judge tells Terry Shamrock is working better than he did on Saturday and this was probably his highest Utility score (which it wasn't). On to Open - and a Q. Hooray - 1st UDX leg on Shamrock's 7th birthday. The good thing was the different order for Utility B and Open B did not seem to present any problems. Bad thing - it was very hot in the building we were in and that took its toll on lots of dogs and handlers. So overall a good weekend. Our other pup got is sixth RAE2 leg but is soooo not interested any longer in heeling that I am not sure how much longer I will force him to go on. He's 11 1/2 and would much rather be making friends around the ring than having to go into it. If I speed up he doesn't move any faster and if I slow down so that he can catch up, he slows down too. Other than the heeling he is pretty good on the other Rally exercises, but someday we are going to get dinged badly for the slow heeling. Overall - a nice weekend for our pups. B

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow, that sucks. I think I might've been tempted to ask the judge for a rethrow, since he did allow the other person to have one.

Sounds like a good day anyway. I can't imagine getting any UDX legs. Can't even get that first UD leg ;)

Hang in there and keep up the great work.

#6 ·
Congratulations on that first UDX leg!! ;D

In open on Sunday, the judge picked up both of my throws (I would have sent Kona) ..... he felt it was too close to the gating. It was difficult to break him out of the sit and mark .............. just had to tell him to leave it and got him to heel back to the start position (he didn't want to move).

#7 ·
Thanks all - especially Zeke's mom - I forgot to update the name info so I wil do that right away. I think I would have asked to re-throw too but sometimes my brain waves do not reach the husband in time!!! I think the two of them will get better and better, experience some ups and downs, and hopefully have fun more than anything else. B

#10 ·
Woohoo...a UDX leg!!! AWESOME!!!

2yellowlabs said:
I think I would have asked to re-throw too but sometimes my brain waves do not reach the husband in time!!!
I had something similar happen in Open A and didn't know I could ask for a rethrow. I thought it was the judges decision. Our dumbbell went under the ring gating and was actually just outside the ring. I couldn't see exactly where the DB landed from my viewpoint and thought the judge would tell me to rethrow it if it was outside of the ring but instead he said "send your dog." I sent Murray and he dove under the ring gating to get it, lifted the gating up on his neck, got momentarily hung up by his collar as he backed out but worked himself free and came back with the DB. As I left the ring, an unknown B person came up to me and yelled at me "don't you EVER send your dog in those conditions again. You could injure him. Ask for a rethrow." That was very intimidating but it was a great lesson that reminded me that it is my responsibility and my responsibility only to ensure the safety of my dog...even if it goes against the judge, rules, etc.

#11 ·
Lydia - You are so right about being responsible for your dog but I think it takes a bad or troublesome experience to learn that, and until one has some experience and knows you can ask a judge for some consideration on some things, I think we all have done what you did. Thank goodness Murray was OK - did the judge say anything after he or she saw what happened? I'm guessing not.

And to Zeke's dad - so sorry I assumed you were a she. I didn't see your name until just today when I looked so again- sorry. I did appreciate that you reminded me to update my sig. B

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.