Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick question - Sedona is on Pro Plan large breed chicken and rice and I use a small amount of canned since she will not eat it dry. Does anyone have something else they use to moisten the dry kibble. I don't want to use the canned as it looks and smells gross and she doesn't need the extra calories. She doesn't really like her food soaked in water either. I am trying to come up with something healthy to make on my own that will help the kibble be moist and be tasty as well.

Thanks for any ideas. :)

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Have you tried adding some cut up carrot or green beans?

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
I would try baby food. But to be honest if you have to do that, high quality canned is probably your best bet.

Canned tripe would be great. A little stinky, but dogs LOVE it. ;)

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
pumpkin, unsweetened applesauce, sardines occasionally, dollup of yogurt. i normally just squirt a tad of water on mine and serve. don't want them to become picky eaters by having something added to the food all the time.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
What about yogurt??...I give it to my dogs with their meals, its good for their digestive tract and they love it...

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Congrats for making her a picky eater. Give her dry and that's it. Give her 15 minutes to eat and what she does is what she gets. No treats, nothing the rest of the day. Put down what she didn't eat at breakfast for dinner without adding to it, even if there are only two bites left. She'll start eating when she realizes that is what she gets.

A healthy dog will not starve itself.

Of course, the food could be stale from the bag being open to the air or she may just not like the pro plan. Been hearing that more as of late that dogs are turning up their noses at pro plan.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
I was going to ask about the ProPlan also. How long has she been on it? Did she like it at one time? Might just be a bad bag (old or something), or might be time for a change. I have found over the years, that the cheaper and worse the food, the more my dogs seemed to like it! That doesn't mean I feed them cheap food, they get Innova Evo, and have always seemed to like it - of course they only get a scant 1 cup twice a day, so they are usually hungry and eat it up pretty quickly.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for your responses. Sedona is NOT a picky eater. Even at 8 weeks old she did not prefer to have her kibble soaked, but soaked it was and she had to eat it that way. She does like Pro Plan, she just prefers to have a little moist with the dry kibble. I started putting a small amount of moist in it; all beings have their preferences. Dani - I have not created a picky eater. I am well aware of how to feed my dog and as a small puppy the 15 minute rule. Sedona has gone three days without eating more than one time. I will not argue what is right and what is wrong is one's opinion, I simply asked what others might suggest instead of canned food.

Sedona has done very well on Pro Plan and is a very healthy girl at 17 months.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
I think I'd try using 1/4 the amount of dry kibble mixed with water and chicken or fish stock and, if she eats it, offer more quarters until the full amount is eaten. If it isn't eaten, take it up and repeat again at the next meal.

·
Registered
311 Posts
When Rupert won't eat his kibble, I've crushed up his biscuits and sprinkled them over the rest of the food. He goes nuts for it then.

What about yogurt??...I give it to my dogs with their meals, its good for their digestive tract and they love it...
Is it really? Anything dairy gives my dog a case of the squirts.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
A lot of dogs have trouble digesting yogurt, as most are at least a little lactose intolerant.

Yogurt gives Baloo major squirts too.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
The active cultures in yogurt are what allow you to tolerate eating it as appose to drinking milk. Which is why it is suggested people (and probably dogs) use yogurt rather than milk products.
In one of my books there is an part on how dogs digest things like lactose.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Again, thanks for the information. My husband, who is a great cook, made her something very healthy, very low fat and carbs, and she loves it. I thought about having some myself!

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
So now you are home cooking for a puppy? If you were one of my puppy buyers you would have just violated your contract.

Go back to feeding kibble and adding a touch of canned to it. They are balanced for growing puppies.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
I think homecooking is a great option personally, but it does need to be balanced. ;)

If you're interested in homecooking I'd pick up one of Dr. Pitcairn's books, he's the go-to guy for all things homecooking. :)

Edited to add his website: http://www.drpitcairn.com/

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Abbey is a horribly picky eater and I know I've gotten crap for adding stuff to her food, but she will honestly not eat her food for 6 days if I add nothing to it.. I'll leave it out for 15 minutes, pick it up until next time. She's been checked out by the vet multiple times and has had bloodwork done.. nothing wrong with her, that's just how she is.

That said, the vet has suggested a few things. Generally you want to add something bland if it's human food or a little bit of canned dog food, as you were doing before. Things like a little bit of cottage cheese, little bit of yogurt, plain cooked oatmeal.. just something bland that will coat the food.

You could also try green beans. I get the big frozen bag of them from Sam's Club and I'll put them in Abbey's food, frozen, and she eats them. But that doesn't really add flavor, or anything. Just a good, healthy filler if you are replacing any of the kibble.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Labby - I am not sure if you read the original post. Sedona is almost 18 months old. She eats 1 1/2 cups of Pro Plan chicken and rice twice a day. I was adding maybe a tablespoon of Pro Plan chicken and rice wet to moisten the kibble. I just didn't like using the canned anymore and was looking for suggestions. What my husband made is very healthy and much better than the canned and as before she gets a very small amount to just moisten her kibble. We do not cook for her; it is made and stored in the refrigerator. I know how to feed my dog; she is very healthy. You make it sound like we don't feed her kibble and now just cook for her. She is on a very balanced diet.

A lot of people feed their dogs raw, which is absolutely fine, as they do their homework and know how to balance their diets.

I really regret I even asked for suggestions. It will not happen again.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Buy a different canned if you think the Pro Plan cans are gross. Nature's Variety make some Stews. They look just like Beef stew with chunks of meat, veggies in a nice looking gravy. Or Merrick has some very natural looking stew flavors. But I don't know why you think the canned isn't good. It's perfectly balanced for dogs. Even great brands like Canidae basically come out looking like a lump of pate. Heck, tripe (which is awesome for dogs) is the grossest thing I have ever seen, but the dogs LOVE it. My 8 y/o well trained boy got in the trash the other night, just to lick the tripe can. And he knows better, but the temptation was TOO MUCH.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Okay, gotcha. I misunderstood. I thought your pooch was a young puppy. Sorry about that.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
The active cultures in yogurt are what allow you to tolerate eating it as appose to drinking milk. Which is why it is suggested people (and probably dogs) use yogurt rather than milk products.
In one of my books there is an part on how dogs digest things like lactose.

My dogs absolutely love it..I give them the plain fat free yogurt...It has really helped my Boston from having the putrid farts..and we never had any loose stool from either of the 3 dogs....in fact, that is the ONLY way I can cut back on Jobe's food and add some green beans and/or apples, is by adding the yogurt, otherwise the snot will pick out only the kibble to eat...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts