Just Labradors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I was out playing fetch with Tal and my know it all neighbor sees us and comes over and says hi Tal. Of course, Tal runs up to him, and gets petted but as soon as the guy said you gonna play with me, Tal looks at me and bolts back to me. It took all I could do to keep from cracking up!

A friend of mine asked me today how Tal was after his bout with diarrhea. I was telling her and how glad I was he seems to be pretty much back to speed. She said she couldnt see how folks could spend that kind of money on just a dog...gggrrrr. I tried to be nice about it and said he is a family member as far as I am concerned. And that I would do anything to make sure he is healthy and happy.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Tal obviously did not want to upset Dad by playing with someone else!

It's interesting some people's reaction isn't it? Makes you wonder what they think IS important to spend money on.

·
Registered
22 Posts
"she couldn't see how folks could psend that kind of money on just a dog"

Not a nice way to put it at all. Mom understands this sentiment since she grew up on a farm and still has the notion that an animal is an animal and people are people. But even she has spent thousands on various pets because they just worm their way into your heart so much that you treat them like family members.

We all think differently but your neighbour really should have either kept the opinion to his/herself or been far more careful in phrasing -- that was tactless and rude.

Our 2 cents...

Corbell

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Corbell said:
"she couldn't see how folks could psend that kind of money on just a dog"

Not a nice way to put it at all. Mom understands this sentiment since she grew up on a farm and still has the notion that an animal is an animal and people are people. But even she has spent thousands on various pets because they just worm their way into your heart so much that you treat them like family members.

We all think differently but your neighbour really should have either kept the opinion to his/herself or been far more careful in phrasing -- that was tactless and rude.

Our 2 cents...

Corbell
I hear ya...the person who asked about his diarrhea is just a friend...sorry I couldn't resist phrasing it that way. Not a neighbor tho. Even my know it all neighbor said he was glad Tal is ok and it was no worse than a bacterial bug. That was an appropriate way to acknowlegde it. At least he understands they are part of the family.

M

·
0 Posts
abpingue said:

It's interesting some people's reaction isn't it? Makes you wonder what they think IS important to spend money on.
1. Tatoos :(
2. "Art"
3. Body Piercing
4. New furniture every year
5. Shoes, clothes, jewelry (when they don't wear what they have) or when they can go a whole year and not wear the same thing more than once.

These are just a few of the things that bug me that I see in my family. My sister says I spend far too much money on my dog and three cats just taking them for their annual check ups and food and then see asks to borrow money to get a tatoo. She's 49 years old!

This is a very sore subject for me.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mocha said:
abpingue said:

1. Tatoos :(
2. "Art"
3. Body Piercing
4. New furniture every year
5. Shoes, clothes, jewelry (when they don't wear what they have) or when they can go a whole year and not wear the same thing more than once.

These are just a few of the things that bug me that I see in my family. My sister says I spend far too much money on my dog and three cats just taking them for their annual check ups and food and then see asks to borrow money to get a tatoo. She's 49 years old!

This is a very sore subject for me.
I hear ya...frankly, considering all those things wear out and lose their lustre after awhile (not that they are bad in and of themselves necessarily) but they are things.

Relationships, whether with your pet or people is what is truly important. I know with Tal, he cheers me up when I am sad, sticks with me no matter what, warns me when there is danger to say nothing of the joy that we both experience when playing, walking, training or just being together.

Given the choice I'll take that over material possessions any day of the week and twice on Sunday. One of my favorite times is when I pick him up from daycare. Even amid all the chaos with all those other dogs, he knows about what time I will pick him up and is watching from the fence. When he sees me he barks excitedly like he is saying dad! dad! oohh can't wait to tell ya about my day! Then he crawls into the car, I buckle him in then once we are on our way, he puts his head in my lap and snoozes all the way home. You cannot put a price tag on that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts