Just Labradors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some people say put things away. Others say leave them out. I think either way, their presence and their absence seem equally painful.
It will be a year in a couple of months that I lost Haily. I can't bear to put her bowl or crate away. Her bowl sits on my kitchen counter with her collar in it. There were a couple of times I thought I was ready and was going to put it away in a cabinet, but the tears would come and I couldn't do it. Her crate is set up in my room taking up a lot of space but I can't remove it. She only used it when I wasn't home and not every time, but it is/was hers. :'(
Am I crazy or have others done things like this?
I have lost dogs before and there bowls are in a special cabinet and there collars are on a shelf. But for some reason I am not ready to let go of Haily.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
You will know when you are ready.

·
0 Posts
Shanna said:
You will know when you are ready.
This is just what I was thinking. Just like every person is different, each of our dogs affects us in a different way. You'll know when the time is right.

Sending good thoughts your way!

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
I guess we all have little traditions, reminders and each deals with them differently. I think it is nice to have reminders.

I still have Kassas bowl. I have tried several times to give Ernie food from it. Not sure if it is because it is pink or because it was hers. Can't do it. I am slowly giving Erns some of her toys.

Her collars are still hanging where they were left. she wore her red one when she went. Ernie isn't allowed to wear red collars. They were her colours. Again not sure if it is because her and I were the only females in the house and I am from the South Island. Colours red and black, and family used to tease me I dressed her in Canterbury colours. Or is it that in years to come I will get them confused and like to know I will always tell them apart in photos. Who knows what out minds do.

I think for me apart from the memories, they are my little bit of Kassa and will remain so.

I also have two china black Labs. On one is Kassas tags. the other is Ernie and I hope it is a long time before his tags are put on his.

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
I know Paula. You have to do what is right. I have a small statue in my bedroom of St. Francis of Assisi with a black lab & Shadow's name on the tag. I can not put it away. She will always be with me.
Also, this may sound crazy, but we had Shadow put to sleep in the back seat of our truck. The vet came out & petted her & said not to make her walk in to his office. It was her favorite place. She loved to go for rides. We bought the truck after we got her . We didn't need an extended cab but we got it so she would have her own seat.
Not long after that we bought a new truck. Being in the truck was just too sad. It was "her" truck." Even with all the good memories of vacations & trips with her.......it had to go.
Everyone has their own "issues" to deal with & we all deal with them in different ways.
You will know when the time is right. (((((HUGS)))))

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
Oh man this loosing our beloved Labs is just so horrible. No matter how long they have been gone the tears have a habit of coming back.

You all have painful yet loving memories of your special beloved dogs.
Kassy Ernie and I are very lucky to be part of such a caring group of people.

((((Hugs)))))

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
I lost Maxie 3 years ago. Her collar and leash are still on her hook and the urn with her ashes sits on the hearth. I'm not changing a thing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts