Just Labradors banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How is it that hydrogen is flamable, oxygen is flamable.... but when you put them together... H2O.... you get something that not only isn't flamable, but it puts fires out?

I don't get it.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Re: Someone explain this to me (I'm feel so dumb)

I think the highly scientific analogy goes something like this.

On her own, Jane is a fairly benign personality. Quiet.
On his own, John is equally benign and quiet.
Jane and John married and...

KABOOM!

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Wellllll....it's kind of like baking a cake. You wouldn't want to sit around and eat a pound of flour, but in a cake, it is dee-licious. (Baking is a chemical reaction, btw). Sometimes when normally highly reactive chemicals combine, amazing things happen. Such is a wonder of science.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Allie said:
Wellllll....it's kind of like baking a cake. You wouldn't want to sit around and eat a pound of flour, but in a cake, it is dee-licious. (Baking is a chemical reaction, btw). Sometimes when normally highly reactive chemicals combine, amazing things happen. Such is a wonder of science.
I mean.... don't you think it's wild... when you THINK about it?

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Shanna Shanna Shanna! Go try this!

Get a cup and pour some baking soda into it. Add some vinegar to that. Watch what happens. :D

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Paddysmom said:
Shanna Shanna Shanna! Go try this!

Get a cup and pour some baking soda into it. Add some vinegar to that. Watch what happens. :D
Haaaa haaa... Nance.... do that, then add basalmic vinegar oil .... and then start dropping salt into it. It gets really really cool. Of course, you have to do it in a glass vase to really get the full effect. You wouldn't believe some of the stuff my girls and I have done. :laugh:

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
How's this Shanna? It has to do with the molecular structure & electrons of oxygen & hydrogen. Positive & negative charges.

Chemical and physical properties
Water

Water is a natural and renewable energy source.
It is also the base of human life, considering people are 2/3 water.

Information and properties
Systematic name water
Alternative names aqua, dihydrogen monoxide,
hydrogen hydroxide
Molecular formula H2O
Molar mass 18.0153 g/mol
Density and phase 0.998 g/cm³ (liquid at 20 °C)
0.92 g/cm³ (solid)
Melting point 0 °C (273.15 K) (32 ºF)
Boiling point 100 °C (373.15 K) (212 ºF)
Specific heat capacity 4.184 J/(g•K) (liquid at 20 °C)
Supplementary data page
Disclaimer and references
Main article: Water (molecule)
Water is the chemical substance with chemical formula H2O: one molecule of water is composed of two hydrogen atoms covalently bonded to a single oxygen atom. Water is a tasteless, odourless liquid at ambient temperature and pressure, and appears colourless, although it has its own intrinsic very light blue hue. Water vapor and ice also appear colorless. [4]

Water is primarily a liquid under standard conditions, which is not predicted from its relationship to other analogous hydrides of the oxygen family in the periodic table which are gases, such as hydrogen sulfide. Also the elements surrounding oxygen in the periodic table, nitrogen, fluorine, phosphorus, sulfur and chlorine, all combine with hydrogen to produce gases under standard conditions. The reason that oxygen hydride (water) forms a liquid is that it is more electronegative than all of these elements (other than fluorine). Oxygen attracts electrons much more strongly than hydrogen, resulting in a net positive charge on the hydrogen atoms, and a net negative charge on the oxygen atom. The presence of a charge on each of these atoms gives each water molecule a net dipole moment. Electrical attraction between water molecules due to this dipole pulls individual molecules closer together, making it more difficult to separate the molecules and therefore raising the boiling point. This attraction is known as hydrogen bonding. Water can be described as a polar liquid that dissociates disproportionately into the hydronium ion (H3O+(aq)) and an associated hydroxide ion (OH-(aq)). Water is in dynamic equilibrium between the liquid, gas and solid states at standard temperature and pressure, and is the only pure substance found naturally on Earth to be so.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Both molecular Hydrogen and Oxygen have a greater enthalpy than water does...which in a sense is the chemical heat content. They are more reactive and are both found in the gaseous state primarily. However, in a sense, since when you react water with fire, water is converted to both gaseous molecular oxygen and hydrogen, it is thus indirectly is flammable.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
chocolatecoverdlab said:
Both molecular Hydrogen and Oxygen have a greater enthalpy than water does...which in a sense is the chemical heat content. They are more reactive and are both found in the gaseous state primarily. However, in a sense, since when you react water with fire, water is converted to both gaseous molecular oxygen and hydrogen, it is thus indirectly is flammable.
*blows bubbles through straw into soda..*

No, really. I get that. I do.

*blows more bubbles through straw...*

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Nance! :D You are so funny, have I told you that?

Shanna, I think that is an EXCELLENT question!

I love learning on JL.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Paddysmom said:
chocolatecoverdlab said:
*blows bubbles through straw into soda..*

No, really. I get that. I do.

*blows more bubbles through straw...*
BWAAHHAAAAAAHHAAAAAAAAHHHAAAAAA. OMG... you are the best. That is hysterical.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
einsteins legacy said:
Think of it as two negatives numbers, when multiplied, you get a positive number!
That thought actually passed through my mind. :laugh:

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
chocolatecoverdlab said:
Hmmm.... pretty good point there. Wow! Why didn't I think that far? I should have thought it through a little more.

Girl... YOU ROCK!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts