Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sitting her trying to enjoy some JL time, the sirens are going crazy in the city tonight and several of them are heading right too the hospital! My house sets on a hill and I can see and hear as the Ambulances head to my work. Yep I work that close, which is good in one way but really bad in another! I have to work in the morning, YIKES- Sirens never bode well for a good day at work, I so hope it calms down before morning!:eek:

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
I work so close to my house that I got a call this morning on my holidays to go in to organise something to be delivered to another state because it was too hard for the other people to do it! ppft!

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
My home office is less than 4 miles from my house yet I work 250 miles away. I'm actually in my home office 3 hours a week. I thought, when I first hired on, that it would be nice being so close to home. All the benefits of being home for lunch and leaving for work 15 minutes before hand went out the window within the first week.

I am so used to being on the road that I actually hate my 3 hour office visit. Weird.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
I used to live a few houses down from a major instersectioin in Columbus. The large hospital I work at was in walking distance (rather long walk, but I did it occasionally) There was a firehouse/ambulance place around the corner of the intersection. I swear - EVERYTIME it started to rain, within 10 minutes the sirens started - apparently rain = accidents and heart attacks!

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
I lived 4 blocks from my work for almost 2 years. Thats how long it took for the DW and I to find a new place to live, 15 miles away. We moved to eliminate the calls, 'Ed, since you are so close, could you come in and ......'

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Talk about working close to home, how about FROM home.

I am fortunate enough (sometimes not so much) to telecommute for my job. I've been doing it for just over 2 years. Prior to that, I used to drive 25 miles each way (50 round trip) to an office in New Jersey.

I love the freedom of working from home, but I understand what everyone says about them assuming you can "run in & take care of something". I guess I really can't complain too much though, the times that I've gone to work after-hours or on a weekend, have been mostly by choice, not by force.

The one big thing I do is after 5:00 p.m. I DO NOT answer the office phone. If I am waiting for a return call I might, but generally I don't.

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
Talk about working close to home, how about FROM home...
Or living where you work. For 15 years Ken worked at a camp. The only thing seperating his shop from our backyard was the shop driveway. The pros were, no matter what big project he was working on, he didn't miss much with the kids, not even meals. The biggest con was that people didn't respect his time off.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I hope it's calmed down by this morning, Di!

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
I'm sitting her trying to enjoy some JL time, the sirens are going crazy in the city tonight and several of them are heading right too the hospital! My house sets on a hill and I can see and hear as the Ambulances head to my work. Yep I work that close, which is good in one way but really bad in another! I have to work in the morning, YIKES- Sirens never bode well for a good day at work, I so hope it calms down before morning!
Maybe the nightshift patched them up & kicked them out so you'll have nothing to do. I wouldn't hold my breath though! :rolleyes:

I work so close to my house that I got a call this morning on my holidays to go in to organise something to be delivered to another state because it was too hard for the other people to do it! ppft!
And if you'd been out of state or the country? :confused: I bet they would have found someone then. They wouldn't have a choice. Morons. :(

I remember when I was about 10, Mum worked about 20 minutes from home but we lived high up on a hill & looked down on the whole area. One night we were watching a fire. We could see the smoke & the flashing lights of the fire engines. Mum said, "that looks like it's near work". The phone rang at 6 the next morning. It was her boss asking her to come in early because the building got burnt down last night. Yep, it was HER work we were watching. :eek:

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I like my 10 minute commute, but i find myself getting to work later than when i had my half hour commute.. for some reason.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Some days I wish I did live closer...I could go home for lunch!
I live close enough, but we arent allowed to leave the hospital campus during lunch, incase there is an emergency and they need us back! There is always an emergency in an ER isn't there:confused: Well the sirens are going off early this AM so I best slug down some more coffee and get to getting- you folks hold down the fort while I'm gone!!:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts