Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:'(Somebody must have beat the h*ll out of her before I rescued her

For those who didn't read my two previous posts, Merlot has a sister now, a 14 month yellow lab, same age as Merlot. They hit it off from the start, they love each other! It is so funny to watch them play together. They have lots of toys, but they always want the one the other has, and play keep-a-way, chasing each other around the house for hours at a time. Anyway, the female got too excited today, ran to the back door and peed in the house. I said "NO!" and went to open the door for her, and she cowered in the corner, quivering and shaking, and put her paws over her nose. I opened the door to let her outside, and she turned and looked at me as she was walking out with a sorry-puzzled look that said, "are you taking me outside to beat me?" The look she gave almost made me, a grown man, cry. She peed again outside and I told her what a good girl she was, patted her head, and let her back in. Anyway, when I got her, they told me the previous owners had named her Savana, so that's what I was calling her until today. I don't want her to have any reminder of her previous life, so she is now Zoey. My wife picked that name out. Merlot and Zoey...kind of sounds good together :)

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
349 Posts
Re: :'(Somebody must have beat the h*ll out of her before I rescued her

Aww, thats so sad. I like the name Zoey.

·
Registered
22,832 Posts

Aw...that is so sad. I am so glad she is with you. It is amazing what they can go through & still love & trust us humans. She is one lucky girl now. I like the name Zoey too. :)

·
Registered
6,645 Posts

I missed your previous posts. Zoey is beautiful! That story brought tears to my eyes. I believe my older dog Prudence was also abused. For years she would cower and look scared to death if you approached her in a certain way or were correcting her. Brigetta is terrified of strangers, so I often wonder what happened to her.
It's wonderful that Zoey has a new loving home and can run around with Merlot like that!

·
Registered
5,503 Posts

How horrible and sad that somebody treated Zoye (or any dog for that matter) like that. I hope she's able to forget her previous life and enjoy her new life and wonderful family. Thanks for saving her.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts

Keep loving on her. To me, there is nothing more heartbreaking than a frightened dog. :'(

·
Registered
2,938 Posts

I hope she very quickly realizes she is in a loving, safe environment. :) You have quite a job ahead of you helping her to unlearn that behavior.

I think someone should take her previous owner and beat the livin' sh!t out of him. :mad:

·
Registered
12,586 Posts

Well, this reminds me so much of Simon. He, too, had a few accidents in the house, and when he did, he just looked like, "Oh no!" and hit the dirt. :'( It does just break your heart. He responded the same way to loud noises on television and raised voices.

All you can do is calmly take them outside, as you did, as praise when they go in the right spot.

Simon has not had an accident in the house in ages. (fingers crossed). One of the reasons he was given up was "housetraining issues." I think whoever it was just expected him to get this all on his own and never took any time with him. It really wasn't that hard. Oh, it was a little frustrating with the accidents, but come on, have some patience! ::)

Poor boy, I believe part of Simon's problem turned out to be a UTI that it took me a while to catch. :(

Anyway, you will be encouraged to know that we can now watch anything we want on television, and Simon does not even blink. ;) And in fact, of the two of them, Angus is now the more sensitive to scolding. Simon just looks at you like, "Who cares?" ::) :D

Sometimes now when I am aware of something that would have triggered him in the past, and I watch as he lies calmly, not even noticing, it still makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. To know that we got him past his demons. Some of them anyway. ;) You will too.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts

That made my tear up. That had to tear your heart out. I am glad she has someone who loves her now.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts

I see signs of abuse in Maggie occasionally. She came to us at the age of 8 months, beautifully trained not to potty inside or get on the furniture, but I'm afraid it came at a price. Sometimes she'll mistake a move I might make and duck like she's afraid I'll strike her, and she's occasionally reacted with abject fear to one or two strangers. I assume they've reminded her of someone she feared.

How could someone be so harsh to such sweet things?

Your girl is beautiful. Time and love will definitely work their magic.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts

I like the idea of changing her name and Zoey is a great name. I love it! She is in a good place now and I have no doubt she will respond to your love and care.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts

Oh :'( that is very sad. I know with lots of love and affection she will forget her old scary life.

The first week Jake was here we couldn't even approach him without him peeing everywhere and cowering down. He still cowers when around strangers. I hate to think of what he may have gone through before. :'(

I love the name Zoey! I think that is a nice idea to change her name!

·
Registered
11,079 Posts

That is so sad. I'm glad you are changing her name. A new name for a new wonderful life.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts

That's is such a sad story. with time she will realize that your house is the best place to be.

We rescued Eddie at 9 months and he was wonderfully trained, however, he didn't like strangers or men, rolled up newspapers and some other things.

2 years later, he still doesn't like men but doesn't get all scared around them, some he will even go up to and say hello to. Male friends he is okay with. Strangers don't bother him he ignores them most of the time. Rolled up newspapers don't phase him anymore either. He just loves it here and we are just thrilled to have him.

However, he is a big coward! When he gets scared he comes and hides behind me! It has nothing to do with his previous owner, I don't think, and only manifest when he has been a little rambunctious and either scares himself or the situation scares him.

It has been a joy to see him grow into our little buddy and to see him release his fears as he gets more confident in our love for him. I often feel sorry for his previous owner because she missed so much, but then I remember he wouldn't have been this way if she had kept him so then I don't feel so sorry for her!

It is so frustrating when you think of how badly some people treat their dogs, Zoey sounds like she had a great home, give her some hugs for me........

·
Registered
1,076 Posts

It might take a little time. When we first got Brody, my su got a tape measure out to measure him in the shoulder. I guess it looked like a stick, but he ran to his bed and curled up and had the most pitiful look on his face. There was a time I could not hold my hand above his head without him acting like I was going to hit him. Now if I hold my hand above his head, he bumps it with his nose and has a look like "go ahead and pet me".

·
Registered
10,345 Posts

That is so sad. I cannot imagine treating them in such a way. I think the idea of changing her name is an excellent idea. And I bet Zoey just fits!

I am sure with time, patience and love she will come into her own. Thankfully, she is in a great home now...one she deserves.

I was thinking today just how dependent they are on us. How anyone could betray that trust is beyond me but as we all know folks do...such a sad thing.

·
Registered
9,429 Posts

I'm so happy Zoey has you and Merlot now. Same story here; I changed Duke's name from Willy to Duke - something that didn't sound like Willy. Duke is so hard to train because of his phobias so I have resolved to just love him the way he is. All his training comes from imitating M&J.

·
Registered
6,597 Posts

Oh gosh, how awful. I think renaming her was a great idea. I'm so glad you're there to show her love and kindness.

·
Registered
14,925 Posts

Awwww that's so sad... :'( BUT she's a lucky girl to have you now. I think the name change is a GREAT idea! :)

·
Registered
7,352 Posts

Oh poor Zoey what a rough life she had before you got her she will quickly realize how good she has it now. I agree with beating the former owner.

When I was home one summer from college we got Katie my dobie as a gift from her breeder when at almost 3 it was determined she shouldn't have puppies. The breeder told us she preferred women to men but we didn't realize just how much until a couple hours after she came home. I was in the shower getting ready to work evenings that night and mum was at the store. When Katie realized she was alone in the family room with my dad she came running through the house and opened my bedroom door and the bathroom door to jump in the shower with me. Now mind you this dog hated water never got in the pool the 12 years we had her. All dad had done was ask her if she needed to go out after she finished the bone I had given her. I had to call in late to work and stay home until mum got back. Within a week she was his best friend as he is the one that has always spoiled our dogs but I have to wonder what the breeders husband did to her. She had told us Katie didn't like him and she always shut her in a spare room when she left her with him. But then again I didn't like him either before this so........

1 - 20 of 31 Posts