Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are winding down for awhile until I get Rookie trained and out on the circuit, and even then, we will take them on limited basis, especially since we are going to lose another foster home because they are going to be having their first born in August.

The three stooges (Daisy, Jake and Boomer) puppies were adopted...with Jake finally leaving yesterday...for some reason we had a harder than usual time adopting them out.

Gage is getting closer to being released from the hospital. I think in the next couple of weeks he should be coming to us.

And we got these guys...who are being fostered up north...but their story is a sad one...
Gabe and Sam are 6 year old purebred yellow Labrador Retrievers. They are litter-mates. Their owner has owned them since they were eight weeks old. They have been raised in a family environment and have wonderful, friendly dispositions. Gabe weighs 60 lbs and Sam 85.

They are great on walks, and very loving dogs. Gabe and Sam have been left in the care of their owners retired parents because he fell victim to Michigan's economy. Unable to find work in Michigan, he has had to relocate to another state in order to get work to support himself. He left his two trusted companions in the care of his parents; however, due to their own age, have a difficult time caring for these beautiful boys. We are helping to place them as a result.

In an ideal world, it would be wonderful to adopt these boys together, as they have lived their whole lives together. However, they could be separated if need be. We just want these boys to be adopted into as wonderful and caring of a home as where they came from.

And Lily...an 8 month old yellow girl...this was an interesting story...she's being fostered in Mt. Pleasant.
Lily's story was brought to our attention by our friends at the Humane Animal Treatment Society at the Mt. Pleasant shelter. As her owners were walking her up to the shelter, they were calling us to see if we would help out...and we did. Thankfully, she never had to see the inside of the shelter!

Lily's story is typical. She was purchased by a man as a pup from people who bred just to have "one" litter. She lived life with another dog, a golden retriever and a family with children. Well, apparently, two young dogs was too much to handle so the man thought he found a good suitable new home for Lily. Lily went to her new home and because she was under the stress of transitioning, forgot her manners and had a couple of pottying accidents in the house. Which immediately got her banished to be tied up to a tree in the back yard. Lily was with her new home only 1 day when they dropped her off at the shelter because she had an accident.

Lily is a purebred, AKC registerable (we have papers) dog. She's absolutely gorgeous. She's a very light yellow with darker ears. Very nice temperment. She is housebroke, despite what that 2nd family says, and she is crate trained. She does well around dogs, cats and kids.

I am so bewildered on our run on yellows lately. Ah well...I hope we can get these guys transitioned to new homes soon. Just wanted to share.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
ooohhhh! LILY!!!!!!! OMG if I had the time/money/space and I was closer to you I'd snatch that cutie pie up in a heartbeat!

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
One accident and she's outta there? :mad: GAH! People are such ASSES!!!

They are all really beautiful dogs. Wish I could have another. Maybe someday.

I wondered if you would need to slack off a bit now with a young one in the house. Maybe that will be a nice break and good all around. I'm sure a vacation from all that could do you good, and then if you decided to get back into it you would feel more refreshed.

Good luck with all the dogs. Let us know!

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
It may sound silly, but I just told Bill this morning that when we get another dog I want a yellow Lab or a Golden Retriever. If we get one that can be registered, I want the name to be Shadow's Legacy or Shadow's Gift - though the call name will be whatever fits the dog. I think those names came from our Shadow.

Could we meet Lily this weekend?

EDITED TO ADD: I had Bill read this and look at Lily's pics, and he agrees. :) Do you know if she has been spayed yet?

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Oh Jackie! I hope that if this is meant to be that it works out for you. Lily is an absolute cutie! Perhaps your baby Shadow is sending you a sign?

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
AmazonGold said:
It may sound silly, but I just told Bill this morning that when we get another dog I want a yellow Lab or a Golden Retriever. If we get one that can be registered, I want the name to be Shadow's Legacy or Shadow's Gift - though the call name will be whatever fits the dog. I think those names came from our Shadow.

Could we meet Lily this weekend?

EDITED TO ADD: I had Bill read this and look at Lily's pics, and he agrees. :) Do you know if she has been spayed yet?
She's been spayed...and it may be possible to meet her this weekend...but you'd have to meet her with my neighbors and her foster parents. I will be downstate for a wedding. :)

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Hmmm........perhpas Ms. Shadow is sending you a new buddy to help you grieve? ;)I hope this works out Bill and Jackie!

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Dani, if you could send me the information, Saturday would be great for us as Bill leaves for Louisville Sunday afternoon. Would that work for the fosters and your neighbors?

·
Registered
24 Posts
:) Dani.

I'll be arriving back in Michigan Friday afternoon around 4:30 P.M. and leaving around 5 Sunday evening. Please let myself or Jackie know if there can be some arrangements made for this weekend.

You can e-mail me at [email protected] and we'll get information on how to find you.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Hope they all find forever homes; such sad stories.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Lilly looks like Gabby!

And how amazing would it be if she could go with Jackie and Bill!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts