Just Labradors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure where this is suppost to be so here it will be..
Jacey and I's trainer wants us to do rally (Thats what really got my eye at the dog show over the weekend). I really like the idea of doing something with both Jacey and Dakota more than just having them as pets.
So.. What do I need to know and where can I find more info??

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
go to the Obedience/Tracking section. Yes, many of us do Rally. You will need to get with a training club/trainer and work on learning the various signs in Rally. You can find the signs and descriptions of what to do for each sign at www.akc.org. You can find Rally competitions at infodog.com as well.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
You can go to this link and click on "Companion Dog Events" and you can then buy the "Rally Signs" for $2 and "Obedience and Rally Regulations" also for $2. The "Rally Signs" is a booklet that explains how to do all the stations in Rally. The Obedience and Rally Regulations is the rule book. The Rally section is in the back.

http://www.akc.org/store/products/index.cfm?category_cde=REFMATT&product_view=thumb

Kelly and Amber

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Rally is really fun. Moose and I just did our first show at the end of April and we are going to another one next weekend. I'm actually waiting for our testing date to become Pet partners for UCLA medical center. I started a competition prep class just to keep Moose's skills up while we wait for our test date that won't be until July. They had a rally course set up for the rally class and thought what the heck and tried it. He did pretty good so I figured I'd try it and now I'm hooked :laugh:

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
I've only done Rally Obedience with Brigetta. Until she overcomes some of her fear issues, it's perfect for us. I absolutely love it! I even printed out the signs so I can set up little courses at home. If Brigetta didn't have so many fears, I would be really into it. I think it's a great way to spend time with your dog and keep them mentally stimulated. You'll love it!

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Rally is a blast. Murray has his RE (Rally Excellent) and Essy has her RA (Rally Advanced).

There is a Yahoo rally list that you might find helpful. http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/Rally-obed/

No need to pay for signs either. Just go to the files section of the yahoo group, print them out yourself, and have them laminated. ;D They also have 3x5 card sizes available and they have courses on the site too.

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
I was so glad to see this post :D...Sundance and I take our first Rally Obedience class tonight. I'm psyched.

·
Registered
574 Posts
LabMommyKathryn - You will love Rally. Its fun and for the most part everyone is very encouraging and friendly and willing to help. Its a great way to strengthen the bond with your pups and a good foundation for whatever you want to do later. I have an 11 1/2 year old that I started in Rally in 2005 - we have an RAE and are working on RAE2. He did know quite a bit of Obedience before we started Rally - but I think he's really enjoyed being back in the ring. (We never did perfect our long sit for a CDX so that was the end of our obed shows.) It also gets me up and out. If you belong to a training club - ask if they have any Rally classes . My club has classes occasionally and they are fun. Also look for run thrus where you live - some clubs do Rally run thrus when they host an Obed run thru. That way you can participate and see if you enjoy it - I think you will - but it will help give you an idea of what a Rally course is like.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all so very much for all the info and support! I am very excited to try something new with my girls!! :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts