Just Labradors banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have related some strange stories before regarding Duke and my old lab Jake. Here is a quick synopsis.
Just two months before Jake passed away we met Duke with his original family at the Vet's office. Duke was only five months old and came over and crawled all over Jake and he didn't mind a bit. I thought at that time , one life ending, one life beginning.
Just a few weeks after Jake's passing I got a call from the Vet asking me if I would give Duke a home as the original family had to re-home him and they remembered meeting me and Jake. Duke joined our family in June of 2002.

Then the weird things started.
One, Jake, for some reason, loved to be in our back guest bedroom. We usually would keep the door shut but every time he found it a bit open he would push his way in. The door would always swing shut. Jake would just quietly sit in that room until we would miss him and start looking. We soon learned where to start and would find him in that room. He never would bark or scratch at the door to get out.
The first week we had Duke he went missing. One guess where we found him, quietly sitting. No barking or scratching, just sitting. He has done that more than once.

Two, one of Jake's quirks is that he would never step on a manhole cover when being walked on a leash. He would jump over it or walk around it. We were out walking Duke and Freckles one afternoon when Liz said "Watch Duke when we come to that next manhole. Sure enough he jumped over it. At the next one I pulled his lead in tight to keep him from jumping and he almost knocked me off my feet by pushing me out so he could walk around it. Freckles, by the way, had no problem stepping on the manhole.

Flash forward to this morning. In our morning routine I always leave for work about 15 minutes before Liz. Before I leave the boys follow me into the utility room to watch me stuff their Kongs them I let them out in the back yard. Before Liz leaves she lets them back in.
This morning she said, "You know where I always find Duke sitting in the yard every morning when I go to let them in? Freckles is always laying at the back door but Duke is always sitting in the grass way in the back of the yard near the spot where we buried Jakes ashes."

I think it is more than coincidence. I truly believe that somehow Jake made a connection to Duke that defies explanation.

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
Funny thing reading this story...after my first lab Casey passed away we got Gracie. Gracie, my yellow lab, was nothing like Casey at all, completely different dogs. A year later we got Lola, my black lab, I tell everyone that Casey came back to me in the body of Lola. She is so much like my old girl, they have a lot of the same behaviors and quirks. :)

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I think it is more than coincidence. I truly believe that somehow Jake made a connection to Duke that defies explanation.
I think you are correct - more than coincidence. And I think it must wonderful, mysterious, and extremely comforting for you.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
I agree with you. They are connected somehow. What's the chances of the vet calling you to take Duke home? I think that day in the vets office Jake told Duke what he needed to know to live at your house!

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
I have to agree with you too - not just coinicidence, there is something more going on that we just can't tangibly "see". Abby does a lot of things that Jordan used to do - and they all started within days of having Abby home. Do you all remember my post about the white toe? Jordan had a bent toe, and when we got Abby home, I noticed that the same toe on her foot was all white - never noticed it at the breeder's. It's no longer white but that was enough convincing for me that it was a sign of something.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
I love all those stories. Some I had heard, some I had not.

It really does all seem too coincidental, doesn't it? It's not like any of those are everyday behaviors that every dog would do.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
They seem to pick up things from the spirit of a beloved dog that has gone one. I can't tell you how many things Buddy does that were Shadow's quirks, too. Champ doesn't, not a one, but the Budman sure does.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts