Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a first interview (there are 3 to go through) on Monday for a really good job. I could use some good vibes. It's a government job, so there's a fair ammount of competition. Thanks guys! Wish me luck, I haven't had an interview in about 6 years (when I started with the bank). ;D

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you! ;D I'll be sweating the whole time. It's hard (around here) to get a government job unless you know someone, there's virtually no turnover. I've been applying for about 6 months now and finally, a phone call.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Hey, I was wondering what you've been up to, haven't seen you around lately!

GOOD LUCK!

That would be my luck, you would go to work the same time I'm off for a year, just when I was thinking we could try to get together for a doggy play day!

What dept is it for? Maybe I do know someone... ;)

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
it's hard to get a gov't job anywhere.. although the "unless you know someone" shouldn't be a factor. Gov't tends to be pretty careful not to get accused of nepotism.

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone. CoCosmom, it's just the DMV, but it's a foot in the door. What a "procedure" to get in though...sheesh! The position is part time leading to full, so hopefully I'll still have enough time left in my week for a puppers play date! ;D

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jan said:
Federal, provincial, or municipal?

Good luck!!
Provincial.
My BIL has worked for Canada Post for the past 26 yrs and he's trying to help me get on there, but a lot of the "foot in the door" positions seem to involve backshift, which I'm unable to do. Federal would kick butt.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Well, I know folks in the municipal and federal, and obviously at the university.... but no provincial outside of the Dept of Education! Not that people I know necessarily could do anything anyhow, government is really tightening up the who-you-know hiring philosophy.

You know Dal doesn't pay the greatest, but the benefits are awesome.... Union employees work 6.5hr days, start off with 3 weeks vacation plus the Christmas holidays, yearly step raises. Management/Administration is 7.5hr days and 4 weeks vacation. There are often part-time clerical positions that open up, that are great for getting in the door. Once your in, you receive preference for other jobs.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
And where on the east coast are you ??? Are there any federal buildings where you are? Where I am, probably 1/3 will retire within 5 years, 1/2 within 10 years. Anyone getting in now will have clear sailing upwards! 'Course, the loss of corporate memory will be significant -- I suppose this will be the case in the private sector too.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts