Just Labradors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my 2 to the vet this morning for their annual check ups & vaccines. He told me that it's been found that the Proheart heartworm vaccine not only protects for 12 months but it also works backwards for 5 months. He must have read the WTH are you talking about? look on my face because he went on to explain that it also kills any heartworm infection contracted in the 5 months prior to having the injection. That was a big relief to me because they were about 1 month over for their vacs & I was a bit concerned about the heartworm but it turned out I had nothing to fear. :)

Does anyone else use Proheart? Have you heard similar claims from your vet or supplier?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Proheart was recalled in the US. Apparently it has been reintroduced into the market. There is no way in h*ll I would give a Fort Dodge product to my dog.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Proheart was recalled in the US. Apparently it has been reintroduced into the market. There is no way in h*ll I would give a Fort Dodge product to my dog.
+100000

It was killing dogs.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Ditto. Why give 6 months of poison to a dog when you can do it monthly? Less on the system.

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
+100000

It was killing dogs.
Maybe you guys have a different formula to us? I've been giving it to them annually with their normal vaccinations for years with no ill effects. My vet has never mentioned any problems with it either. Now you're getting me worried. :( I'm taking Ronnie in next month to have his teeth cleaned. I think I'll be asking some questions. :confused:

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
I agree with everyone else, especially about Fort Dodge...even my vet does not deal with Fort Dodge.

I had a friend who gave the Proheart to her Ridgeback. Not fatal, but close

1 - 11 of 11 Posts