Just Labradors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you know if your dog is properly socialized? Is "socialization" mostly compared to aggressive/non-aggressiveness? Both of mine are walked daily and have attended daycare a handful of times. I've taken them to an off leash dog park before, but never entered the premises because I'm always afraid that they're going to jump on people. We're also working on recalls/stays, but they're not solid, so. Recently, a recreation center opened their pool for a "doggy day." I took Daisy and was hesitant at first, but she did fine. Her listening ears were 50/50, but otherwise I think she was okay. Both of them get super excited, especially around small children (understandable). Other animals (dogs/cats/wildlife) is an issue too. Around other dogs, they roll onto their backs and want to play. I've been enforcing "settle," but not sure if I'm doing it right. Obedience classes are in order in a few weeks. I'm a college student & work full time, so with TWO, money is tight! Anyway, I'd like to participate in local doggy events, but everyone discourages "unsocialized" dogs. I don't know if mine fit the bill. Help! BTW, they are 10 months.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Everything that you have described seems perfectly normal to me. Marlan does all of the above and he is very well socialized.

I think by unsocialized they mean aggressive or scared of other people/animals. I think you should get them out there if they are not either of these.

And... my personal advice is to take them to that dog park! My puppy loves the dog park so much!!! I understand your concern about him jumping, and you should try to teach him not to, but honestly, people shouldn't be in a dog park if they aren't prepared for a potential jump up from a dog.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
Your two don't sound unsocialized at all. It sounds as though they could use brush up on their training but attending some classes would help. Don't forget that they are only young...they won't be model citizens for a good while yet.

F

·
0 Posts
Laika was a very un-sociolized dog, when we first met :)

But i've took her evry where i go, so that includes public transport (bus, train, taxi) ;)

The only thing she wont get in to, is a supermarket, but evry thing works well, comparing to the dog 1 year ago, with the dog she now is, it is the difference between day and night :angel:

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
My Tal is 10 months and his behavior is similar. He goes to daycare once a week, sometimes 2x a week, and we are in our second obed class. He does very well but he is still 10 months and a puppy.

I have never taken him to a dog park and do not intend to...not because of his behaviro but because you never know what the other dogs are like unless you know them or at least of them. Unfortunately, some owners are not responsible and they do not train their dogs or socialize them and they have no business unleashed in a dog park. I would look for another venue unless you can be sure about the other dogs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts