Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The high school where I teach at had a varsity soccer game today and I decided to take Tal. He has been to Petco, the park and all but never to naything like this. When I got home, I played fetch with him a bit to tire him out. He did better than I expected too. He didn't jump (well not as much as I thought!) and several folks came up and of course he just ate up all the attention. I took him to potty, including poop, and he still went at the game. Oh well, I had the potty bags with me and cleaned it up when no one was looking. Fortunately no one saw us!

The only down side was there was a little girl (probably 8 - 10 years old) kept hanging around where we were. That played for awhile but I really wanted to watch the game and give Tal practice being calm around alot of people. The only time I said anything tho was when she kind of put her finger close and was getting him to snap at her. I put a stop to that real quick. Then tal started getting a little more mouthy with me and I said NO! and he stopped and hasnt done it since.

We had a great time! I think I might try and take him next home game.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
I love taking the dogs to events like that. It is so very uncommon around here because most of the games are at schools and the dogs are not allowed. But, last year my son played at a park that allows dogs so they got to go to all of his games. It was so great and they always did really well.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
Good job!

I like taking my two girls to different places. We've been to football,baseball and hockey games. We go to parades,the Soap box derby race,you name it. I like to attend lotsa of events and if I couldn't have the dogs with me, I'd feel guilty.

The best way to teach a pup manners is in real social settings. My two had their bad moments at times, but they are very comfortable around people now.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
labs4life said:
Good job!

I like taking my two girls to different places. We've been to football,baseball and hockey games. We go to parades,the Soap box derby race,you name it. I like to attend lotsa of events and if I couldn't have the dogs with me, I'd feel guilty.

The best way to teach a pup manners is in real social settings. My two had their bad moments at times, but they are very comfortable around people now.
yeah I agree. The more social situations they can be exposed to the better. Beisdes, why leave him at home when he can go too!!??

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
Myfavoritedog, I've had labs for 26 years and I took all of them everywhere I went. Before I knew about crate training, the best way to housebreak a pup was to constantly have them with you. In 1989(?) I had a lab Maxie, that went to work with me for the first 2 years of her life! Maxie was the best socialized dog I ever had! Times are different now, and I suppose my methods would be frowned upon nowadays, but boy was it great having her with me everyday.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
labs4life said:
Myfavoritedog, I've had labs for 26 years and I took all of them everywhere I went. Before I knew about crate training, the best way to housebreak a pup was to constantly have them with you. In 1989(?) I had a lab Maxie, that went to work with me for the first 2 years of her life! Maxie was the best socialized dog I ever had! Times are different now, and I suppose my methods would be frowned upon nowadays, but boy was it great having her with me everyday.
That sounds wonderful! Unfortunately, I can't take Tal with me everywhere because some places just don't allow dogs. The only reason in mild to cold weather I don't take him and keep him in the car is I have a Jeep Wrangler. All anyone would have to do is inzip the window and Tal would be stolen.

I think that is great you could do that! I love takin Tal with me when I go anywhere. And ya know I like just goin to Petsmart or Petco and just lookin around jus so I can take him!

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
Good boy Tal. It sounds like he is doing great in crowds. Why is there always a kid around that wants to poke at the dogs? ::)
Oh & even when the girls poop at home...they sometimes must leave a present when we go out. Maybe it is a "nervous" thing. ;D

Like you, my pockets are full of poop bags. :)

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
myfavoritedog said:
labs4life said:
That sounds wonderful! Unfortunately, I can't take Tal with me everywhere because some places just don't allow dogs. The only reason in mild to cold weather I don't take him and keep him in the car is I have a Jeep Wrangler. All anyone would have to do is inzip the window and Tal would be stolen.

I think that is great you could do that! I love takin Tal with me when I go anywhere. And ya know I like just goin to Petsmart or Petco and just lookin around jus so I can take him!
Dogs aren't as welcome today as they used to be. There are alot of people/companies/businesses that for insurance reasons won't allow dogs. I understand that,but it was great while it lasted.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts