Just Labradors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What age did you, if you did, stop soaking kibble before feeding your puppy? Keegan turned 9 weeks old Sunday and I still soak her kibble. My vet said it wasn't necessary anymore. Just curious what everyone else does.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
I stop soaking kibble at 6 weeks of age. I wet the food and feed it immediately for life. IMO, it's healthier for them. Commercial foods need to be fed with moisture so dogs don't over consume water after a meal. If the dog doesn't get enough water with its meal the kibble will pull moisture from the dogs system in order to break down properly. Use tepid temperature water never hot or warm and never soak your food as it breaks down and destroys nutrients. Mix up and feed immediately. I use enough water to thoroughly cover the food.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Dio is 8 1/2 months old and I still add water to his food. I do serve it immediately after, as was said above. It seems to help with his digestion. It isn't really a problem either, so why not?

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Use tepid temperature water never hot or warm
What is tepid? *embarrassed to ask*

I toss about 3 palmfuls over their food and shake it around.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
What is tepid? *embarrassed to ask*

I toss about 3 palmfuls over their food and shake it around.
It is the same as lukewarm. Not warm, not cold.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I stop soaking kibble at 6 weeks of age. I wet the food and feed it immediately for life. IMO, it's healthier for them. Commercial foods need to be fed with moisture so dogs don't over consume water after a meal. If the dog doesn't get enough water with its meal the kibble will pull moisture from the dogs system in order to break down properly. Use tepid temperature water never hot or warm and never soak your food as it breaks down and destroys nutrients. Mix up and feed immediately. I use enough water to thoroughly cover the food.
Laura, I did not know that. Thanks for the information.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts